Just curiouis about Knobster device in AM

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Kaellis991

Just curiouis about Knobster device in AM

#1 Post by Kaellis991 »

My Knobster is working well with Xplane right now. I got everything set up as I wanted.

Not that its a problem but more for my understanding.
I am confused as to why the knobster descriptor is greyed out and AM shows that it's disconnected even though it's working properly.

image.png

Ralph

Re: Just curiouis about Knobster device in AM

#2 Post by Ralph »

Good question :) Is it always like this?

Kaellis991

#3 Post by Kaellis991 »

Ralph wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:34 pm Good question :) Is it always like this?
I am not sure. Just noticed it after I got the knobster all set up.
It seems that I saw it connected when I started on the knobster project a couple of days ago, but never paid much attention to that until today.
I just shut down AM and Xplane and restarted both.

Now here is the odd behavior.
I have the knobster connected to a USB hub that has push button switches for each USB output.

When I start up AM and before I start Xplane AM shows the knobster to be connected.

Then I start Xplane, and go to a new flight with my Piper Arrow. At that time the KnobXP window pops up showing the Knobster disconnected. AM still shows the Knobster connected.
So every time I start an Xplane flight I need to turn off and then back on the knobster's USB port switch for KnobXP to connect in Xplane.

When I turn off the USB port switch that the knobster is connected to AM will of course show the knobster disconnected.
But when I turn the USB port switch back on, the Knobxp comes alive in Xplane while AM still shows the knobster to be disconnected.

Maybe something with the USB port / switch communication with AM?
Is not a big issue, I just have to cycle off and on the USB port switch to get it to work in Xplane.

But it's weird seeing that when it connects in Xplane AM still shows a disconnect in the device list. Seems like AM never resets.

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

Kaellis991

#4 Post by Kaellis991 »

Updated info....
I took the knobster USB cable out of the HUB and plugged it directly into a 2.0 port on my computer. Initally it was still working in Xplane but AM still shows it disconnected.

When I shut down Xplane AM then recognized that the knobster was connected.

Then I restarted Xplane and a new flight. Still the KnobXP shows disconnected while AM Shows the knobster connected.
Only way to get it to connect in Xplane is to unplug the USB cable from my computer and plug it back in.

Then the KnobXP works in Xplane but AM goes back to showing the Knobster as disconnected even after I plug it back in.

So it's not a USB hub issue.
The USB hub is more convenient for cycling the USB off and on.

SimPassion

#5 Post by SimPassion »

Hi @Kaellis991

the Knobster can't be handled in both AM and X-Plane at the same time, only in the program which is started at first, it's like a serial device with open com port, not shared between two applications at the same time

Kaellis991

#6 Post by Kaellis991 »

SimPassion wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:10 pm Hi @Kaellis991

the Knobster can't be handled in both AM and X-Plane at the same time, only in the program which is started at first, it's like a serial device with open com port, not shared between two applications at the same time
Ok, so that is normal behavior.

Is it normal that I have to disconnect and reconnect to get knobXP to operate in Xplane?

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

Kaellis991 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:24 pm
SimPassion wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:10 pm Hi @Kaellis991

Ok, so that is normal behavior.

Is it normal that I have to disconnect and reconnect to get knobXP to operate in Xplane?
Probably, if it has already been handled in AM previously, otherwise not, it should be detected directly by X-Plane, switching from an application to another one is an issue for such device, the best is to close both apps, then start only the one which should handle it. When wanting to be handled by the other app, both applications should be shutdown for the best behavior

Kaellis991

#8 Post by Kaellis991 »

I am totally confused now.
It was my understanding that KnobXP has to have the knobster device running in Air Manager.

So obviously knobXP does not require the knobster device to be installed in AM.
If that's the case I dont really need the Knobster device in air manager and can just remove it, correct?

SimPassion

#9 Post by SimPassion »

Kaellis991 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:04 pm I am totally confused now.
It was my understanding that KnobXP has to have the knobster device running in Air Manager.

If that's the case I dont really need the Knobster device in air manager and can just remove it, correct?
The Knobster in AM is very useful to be used in panel where there's multiple dial, as we can switch from one to each other. No need to remove it, just remember to start X-Plane at first with Knobster already connected, before AM is started and all will be ok

Kaellis991

#10 Post by Kaellis991 »

SimPassion wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:19 pm
Kaellis991 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:04 pm I am totally confused now.

The Knobster in AM is very useful to be used in panel where there's multiple dial, as we can switch from one to each other. No need to remove it, just remember to start X-Plane at first with Knobster already connected, before AM is started and all will be ok
Thanks for the clarification. I was completely wrong about the knobster device requirements. KnobXP is a completely separate and stand-alone component.