Is there a generic MSFS PFD or ND for Boeing/Airbus?

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

paul_max

Is there a generic MSFS PFD or ND for Boeing/Airbus?

#1 Post by paul_max »

I'm surprised I can't find generic PFD or ND for MSFS. They would greatly reduce reduce the work load of the 3D popouts in MSFS, which tend to hit the Sim frame rate badly.

I can just about fit a PFD and ND onto my laptop, so that could be a great solution to append to my 39in HD TV.

I've developed software for almost as many years as Russ has flown ha ha. Starting with a generic PFD/ND would be a lot easier than starting from scratch.

Maybe these instruments do exist, perhaps partially complete - please advise.

All suggestions are welcome.

Regards
Paul
UK

Ralph

Re: Is there a generic MSFS PFD or ND for Boeing/Airbus?

#2 Post by Ralph »

There's no way to extract the data, so no...

jph

#3 Post by jph »

Best way is to use X-Plane.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

paul_max

#4 Post by paul_max »

Ralph wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:57 pm There's no way to extract the data, so no...
I think the basic PFD data is available: speed, altitude, pitch/roll/yaw, VS

The whole USP of Air Manager is to off load the 3D graphics display and model instruments efficiently in 2D. If it can't do most of a PFD or ND why use it?

Mobiflight can access just about all the MSFS data. See https://hubhop.mobiflight.com/ for over 10,000 variables.

Is there a list of variables that Air Manager cannot read?

regards
Paul

Keith Baxter

#5 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,
Do you have a FMOD you prefer?

I could reproduce close if your sim provides all the parameters.
Should your sim not provide all the parameters required in the FMOD then that would be extra cost.
I think for that I would estimate Dev costs of around e400.000.00
Let me know if you are interested🤪😂

Just joking. But the amount of work to your request is economic.
However it is possible if you have the euros to drop.

KEITH
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#6 Post by jph »

paul_max wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:40 pm
Ralph wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:57 pm There's no way to extract the data, so no...
I think the basic PFD data is available: speed, altitude, pitch/roll/yaw, VS

The whole USP of Air Manager is to off load the 3D graphics display and model instruments efficiently in 2D. If it can't do most of a PFD or ND why use it?

Mobiflight can access just about all the MSFS data. See https://hubhop.mobiflight.com/ for over 10,000 variables.

Is there a list of variables that Air Manager cannot read?

regards
Paul
Its nothing to do with the usp of air manager, it is related to the lack of usp of msfs.
IF you have access to the variables, meaning that they ARE there in the first place AND in the sdk AND actually work ..... then you can do whatever you want. The msfs game is a work in progress and will be for years yet.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

paul_max

#7 Post by paul_max »

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I guess its all down to the type of sim that each user is interested in. Lots of people like the Cessna panels and that's great to see.

My preference is modern jets, which can benefit greatly from 2D panels. It's possible in MSFS to popout the instrument windows and drag them to other monitors. That adds a lot of realism, but the instruments are rendered in 3D along with the detailed outside view. That makes the (expensive) GPU work harder and the result is a significant drop in frame rate of the outside view; many users comment on this in the MSFS forum.

So there is a tremendous business opportunity for any product that renders 2D panels for modern jets, as it would allow the main 3D view(s) to retain a good frame rate. Air Manager is one of the obvious choices for 2D panels as we know it works well for the Cessna and it could render 2D MFD and EICAS instruments onto a laptop/larger tablet.

A full ND display needs the flight plan, which adds another layer of complexity. Drawing the ND without the flight plan would be great, then one can briefly switch the main view to the 3D ND to check the flight plan. Alternatively there are some great mapping add-ons that can draw the flightplan on a moving map, hence the ND would be ok in a basic form.

I've seen a developer prototype render PFD, basic ND and EICAS in 2D via FSUIPC for FSX and X-Plane. Therefore the same can be done for MSFS, which has a ton of extra variables.

I could develop the instruments myself but it's suprising there is no Air Manager solution in the pipeline, which I would happily pay for.

Regards
Paul

jph

#8 Post by jph »

A few months back you were saying that SI should be giving away the details of the payware knobster for free as it would be good business :? (for YOU !) ..
now you are saying that it would be beneficial and great business (another 'TREMENDOUS business opportunity' - ( yet it is free on XP)) :roll: to magically produce something that the data is not readily available for and there is no proven market for ? - (again - this is for YOU !) did you not read the responses ?

You want a 'generic' jet type PFD / ND ... I would imagine anyone making one would definitely NOT go a 'generic' route - but hey. You know best perhaps.

Have at it boy and develop them yourself. You say you can do it - you say that the msfs game has far more data available than other simulators- so absolutely no worries. Why the fek should someone else do it for you ?. Utterly Incredible. :shock:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.