Arduino Nano [A000005] won't flash

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

tbj

Arduino Nano [A000005] won't flash

#1 Post by tbj »

I have the above arduino connected to a dual rotary encoder for a diy knobster. When I try to flash the board with the diy knobster I get the message " Com port closed..." and it tries 10 times. I've tried old bootloader.
I've tried everything I can think of including solder joints continuity tests etc., I'm using Windows 11 and only com port 1 and 8 show up in device manager, should I try any 3rd party software to enable different ones?
Thanks,
tbj

jph

Re: Arduino Nano [A000005] won't flash

#2 Post by jph »

Are you 100% sure you are selecting the CORRECT com port ?. It is selectable in the pull down menu when flashing.

and NO ! do not run any third party software !!! :? :(
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

tbj

#3 Post by tbj »

Hi and thanks for reply. I am using windows 11 and the only ports that aren't greyed out are com1 and com8 so I have tried both. I did a windows update and that stayed the same. O.k., no 3rd party sanything !
TBJ

jph

#4 Post by jph »

First, find out definitively which com port the nano is using, look in device manager and unplug the nano to see which port dissapears, then plug it back in, also find out what the other device iusing a com port is.
Is this a brand new nano. .?.. also, are you sure you have the drivers installed.?.. in windows update.. with the nano plugged in.., check under optional updates, device drivers and see if you are offered a driver, if so the choose to install it

Also ensure you are not running ANYTHING at all apart from AM when you flash it. Do a clean reboot after you find the correct com port as described above and then flash, dont start any other programs. .

Also try flashing it as a standard AM arduino device, not as a knobster .. just to check operation.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

tbj

#5 Post by tbj »

Thank you jph,
I will work through this list in the morning and report back.
tbj

tbj

#6 Post by tbj »

Hello again, jph,
I'm almost there thanks to your help. The problem was that the com port was not even an option shown in Device Manager but following your instructions and then clicking "Show legacy items", com port 10 showed up, so I unplugged the Arduino and it disappeared thus proving this was indeed the correct com port. A couple of reboots later and trying again on port 10 the knobster showed up in AM. So I now have the instruments working almost as they should. But when I turn my encoder clockwise the settings go down in number and vice versa, this is on both knobs. I am using a 6 core cable using just one ground/common and I am assuming that only one ground needs to be connected at Arduino and encoder end, please correct me if Im wrong but I understood that ground is ground and common to everything. If I am correct I further assume that I need to reverse the A and B connections for each knob but I would like your further comment first as I am so close.
Regards,
tbj

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

That would indeed be a matter of swapping the A and B pins.

jph

#8 Post by jph »

Exactly :D
Yes, just reverse A/B in each.
As you said, common is common is common. Arduino GND and the encoder GNDs are all tied together, a single wire is fine.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

tbj

#9 Post by tbj »

Thanks, Both,
Out with the soldedring iron again !
All the help is much appreciated.
tbj

jph

#10 Post by jph »

Always happy to help folk who aren't afraid to get stuck into somthing. Thats how we learn. Great work.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.