Searching for flight simulator...

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

uptimist

Searching for flight simulator...

#1 Post by uptimist »

I have been using Air Manager extensively on one Windows PC with X-Plane 11 running on a second PC, and this has been working fine for the last year or so.

I changed my broadband provider and with this came a new router. A week after changing it, I fired up Air Manager and it can't find the simulator (seeing "Searching for flight simulator...."). It may be coincidental with the new router, but I'm suspicious. I have not changed any of the default settings on the supplied (Vodafone) router, it's very vanilla. Everything else in my house is working fine (I have maybe 30 or 40 connected devices, printers, music players, NAS etc. etc.).

I can connect to X-Plane from other devices (e.g. running SkyDemon on Ipad).

I have checked both PC's are on the same network - they are (192.168.1.34 and 192.168.1.118).

I tried changing the settings in Air Manager to connect manually with the simulation PC IP address. That didn't help.

Any ideas on how to help diagnose this problem please?

uptimist

Re: Searching for flight simulator...

#2 Post by uptimist »

OK sorry I fixed it - after reading the post https://siminnovations.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6085

So the router change was coincidental. I don't why changing network configuration was suddenly necessary after 1 year with no problems, but hey. Perhaps it was a Windows update during the time I was not using the sim.

jph

#3 Post by jph »

Hi, glad you found the post useful.
No, the router change was the instigator of the issue. What will have happened is that when you changed your router, at the time of connection to the access point, even if the same AP name was used, you will be asked if you want to make this PC visible to other devices so they can access files and printers etc. Either you or the fitting tech has answered no. Not a problem. It is enabled by following the steps in the post you linked to and that then is how you had it before. Many techs often just use the WPA button to connect and ignore any options such as device discovery questions.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

uptimist

#4 Post by uptimist »

Ah ok, thanks, that sort of makes sense, although I am pretty sure there were no pop up questions after the router change. (I am the tech!) I’m sure I would have remembered in two different PCs at the same time. And I didn’t do this before (I.e. when I originally installed AM). I am guessing perhaps a newer version of Windows changes the settings in the background when router changes.

Anyway, it’s all good now, thanks for your help.

jph

#5 Post by jph »

Hi, it is certainly possible that a winows update changed a default configuration, i must confess I no longer bother looking at exactly what the updates are supposed to do in the MS technet BS ;) . A lot of the time it is a change to comply with a new law in some place or other that was dreampt up by someone with the IT skills of a three year old siamese acrobat :) usually a politician with a Nintendo. .. main thing is it works..
Joe. CISSP, MSc.