Air Player Arm on Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W - again

Support for Air Player desktop on ARM devices, like the Raspberry Pi.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: Air Player Arm on Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W - again

#11 Post by jph »

We get a free pin for Christmas then ? ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#12 Post by Ralph »

Mystery solved I think. The wiki lists pin numbers, not GPIO numbers. Pin 20 is ground.
If you want GPIO 20, then you need RPI_V2_P1_38.

jph

#13 Post by jph »

Hi Ralph, Yikes, if that was going to be the format, it really needs the gpio part removing from the B+ listing :o a nice big note would be really good on all the pi computer series. But.. instead, . I cant think of another convention anywhere that uses header pin numers in programming? Would it not be better to stick to the actual gpio / pin designation so you follow a theme through to other processors.? The numbers there, I beliieve, should absolutely refer to gpio.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#14 Post by Ralph »

It has been this way forever, I'm not keen on changing it. And besides, the Arduino's also use pin numbers.

jph

#15 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:03 pm It has been this way forever, I'm not keen on changing it. And besides, the Arduino's also use pin numbers.
They use pin numbering but alpha numeric, as in A0 and D0, thats not really the same as 'pin numbering' on a header. The convention is the programming name in almost all cases. At the moment its even worse as the B+ on the wiki seems to use a header pin number, which is not even a linear row numbering as it crisscrosses, but the term gpio is also in there although it isnt in the 2,3 boards althogh exactly the same format and gpio scheme is used so one has to change even if it is to remove te6 gpio from the names on the B+. Also, it is even more confusing where some pins are mentioned but with a large red X do not use, and others are not mentioned at all, like PIN 20 on the header. Whatever is chosen it is best, imo, to standardise and have continuity. This only seems to be affecting the pi sbc which, in hardware expansion use in the wild is probably very limited, and nobody is buying any at the moment as there arent any and probaby wont be for at least 12 months to 2 years the way it is going.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#16 Post by jph »

just look at the nano for pin numbering... start at one end and count, D1, D0, ..descending.., now 2 we cant use, reset and gnd, then D3 and start ascending. .so the pin 'name' is used, not a header pin number. Its a lot more logical and extensible in my mind. Certainly worth considering.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.