Ethernet / Arduino / AM ...

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Ethernet / Arduino / AM ...

#1 Post by jph »

@Ralph Hi, I think we talked about the 5100 and 5500 ethernet units a while back. I was not having much luck with the 5100 - at the time - but the 5500 was really good.
Have been experimenting with Arduino again with the 5100 and I must confess I am very impressed. They have updated the lib, and also the 5500 has an Adafruit lib as well.
Only real difference to speak of is the 4 pipes on the 5100 and 8 on the 5500, but that is plenty.
It would make arduino access blazingly fast and get around / remove the comm port scenario. You can get a really neat 5500 unit now for around 5 euros. Just connects to the ICSP port for hardware SPI and a CS so only 4 pins but we also free up the HW serial(0) 2 pins . Some of the 5500 units are only slightly bigger than the actual RJ45 socket ! . Really good prices.

Did you ever test or experiment with a link to AM in this way ?, just wondering.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

Re: Ethernet / Arduino / AM ...

#2 Post by Ralph »

The short and simple answer is no :) Having ethernet as an option would mean that, as I understand from Corjan, we have to 'open up' our complete communication protocol and code, which we do not want because it is proprietary. But I suppose that Corjan can give a better answer on this.

jph

Re: Ethernet / Arduino / AM ...

#3 Post by jph »

Interesting,
I suppose it would depend how and where it was implemented. For example, the message port type of system is where I am thinking the most benefit could come from. In this scenario then the protocol would be whatever you wanted it to be, and yes, visible but so is Messageport at the moment in respect of all Arduino code is fully visible as it is a standard lib. It would be a 'messageport PLUS' ;)
I have a specific use case in mind that wouldn't expose anything proprietary, but I will take it up with you off line when Corjan is back and rested. Cheers.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.