Testing 9.7" IPAD 3 / IPAD 4 HDMI display and driver.

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Testing 9.7" IPAD 3 / IPAD 4 HDMI display and driver.

#1 Post by jph »

As it says in the title.
Just received the HDMI driver boards that will support the extremely high resolution IPAD 3 and 4 screens. 2048 x 1536. They are the collection of PCBs and wiring on the left of the screen. The control panel is just out of shot on the cable dropping down and there is also an adapter behind the screen (all supplied with the driver boards)

Hooked it up to an old ipad screen without the digitiser and it works superbly.
IPAD 3/4 screen is 9.7" diagonal, 4:3 aspect ratio, LED Backlighting and full IPS with superb viewing angles.
The screen is absolutely crystal clear and incredibly sharp. Unfortunately my ancient MOTO 'phone camera is not ;) . (I only normally want my phone to go 'ring ring' but it happens to have a camera of sorts). I actually have the scaling on the screen set to 150% in Windows as otherwise the icons are absolutely tiny.
ipad driver 2HDR.jpg
Easy to hook up and around 25 euros. Needs a decent 12V supply around 2A. IPAD screens are available from around 30 to 35 euros.
Again, the image here does not do it justice in any way. Also, the bench is in a 'state of flux' which is absolutely normal :)
Nice screen and driver. Ideal for lower EICAS display between the FMCs instead of the crappy 9.7" 1024x768 TN screens most use. TN screens are basically sh!t unless viewed absolutely straight on.
IPS screens simply don't have this issue. Excellent viewing angles from either side or above / below.

Have also modded a very similar driver board for remote brightness control from AM / Arduino. It involves a small change to the board to intercept the PWM backlight driver signal. When done it gives you complete control of the backlight from your code (AM/Arduino)
Joe
Last edited by jph on Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

Re: Testing 9.7" IPAD 3 / IPAD 4 display and driver.

#2 Post by Ralph »

Nice. I was just talking to someone who needed a screen with the size of an iPad, but hooked up to HDMI. I might already have something for him, but if not, I'll keep this one in mind.

jph

Re: Testing 9.7" IPAD 3 / IPAD 4 HDMI display and driver.

#3 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:32 pm Nice. I was just talking to someone who needed a screen with the size of an iPad, but hooked up to HDMI. I might already have something for him, but if not, I'll keep this one in mind.
Hi Ralph, just to clarify, this is hooked up directly to HDMI. it's the board to the left of the screen.

Very impressed with the quality of the Driver board hardware !. top class.

I have some dual channel eDP 30 pin boards for testing as well and also some older standard for lvds 40 and 50 here. The eDP is for a 17.3 FHD IPS monitor.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.