Cessna 172 Style Flap Control Project

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

ReeceRobinson

Cessna 172 Style Flap Control Project

#1 Post by ReeceRobinson »

As a Cessna 172 pilot I am frustrated by the lack of stability of potentiometer based flap controls. Passive electronic components combined with A/D conversion, introduce noise in the signal that shows up in the cockpit as jitter in the flap lever! I find this issue detracts from my enjoyment flying my virtual aircraft.

To solve this issue I created a Flap Control based on how a real Cessna 172 flap control works, that is, using microswitches to determine the selected flap setting.

You can check it out here http://www.trac-group.co.nz/flightsim/f ... oller.html.

I really enjoy using this flap control because it helps keep me in the simulation and is very reliable.

Ralph

Re: Cessna 172 Style Flap Control Project

#2 Post by Ralph »

Nothing against your project/work, but you can also adjust the hysteresis value for the ADC, which prevents jitter.

ReeceRobinson

#3 Post by ReeceRobinson »

I know you can fix this in software but I like the simplicity of switches :)

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

I agree that a switch can be better and simpler, then you're sure that you have the right positions. And the design looks very good.

ReeceRobinson

#5 Post by ReeceRobinson »

Ralph wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:27 am I agree that a switch can be better and simpler, then you're sure that you have the right positions. And the design looks very good.
Thanks Ralph 👍

jph

#6 Post by jph »

Agree with Ralph here, the switch's are a good solution, but nothing at all wrong with ADC. The hysteresis works well and if needed, with something as simple as flaps, you can also add an ADC range in your code that anything within is accepted as a fixed flap position.

Don't try the switches on a Twotter panel (Twin Otter) though...... Fully variable 0 to 37.5 degrees ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.