Keith 737 mip

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: Keith 737 mip

#41 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:01 pm We have square 3.6 inch screens for the standby attitude indicator. It's not necessarily that you need to buy hundreds. But the prize per screen and controller is quite high, plus you probably have to pay a few thousand for the development of the HDMI/DVI board.

Not something for a home project indeed :)
Hi @Ralph If you can get the screens I can sort out a controller board no problem at all.
All you need to do is specify that they use eDP connection to the monitor - which they almost certainly will. It will be dual lane. I can sort a HDMI driver board for about 25 euros. It is a standard board, it is only the res that is programmed into the controller or on flash. No cost for that bit.
Can we have them next week ? :lol:

Also, can you pm me with details on the 3.5" lcds you have and also the interface ?
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#42 Post by jph »

Keith bud,
Checkout this to see the monitor sizes commonly used due to space issues -
https://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/b7 ... Path=86_43

If you look down you will see their monitor 'kit' with sizes.

Also, here are the assembly instructions, and at the bottom a section showing the monitor mounting.
This company uses a 16" TV as a basis for the centre DU (EICAS) .. I believe most that sell commercially also do.
https://www.opencockpits.com/uploads/ma ... mpleto.pdf

It is good info. Worth filing away after a quick perusal.
It is a really difficult size to find a suitable monitor for (the panel generally) . All standard sizes commonly available simply do not fit. A 17" laptop screen is too small for the 2 DU pair on each side so the modern IPS screens are not available and the middle (EICAS is a pain in the backside not even taking the 18.5,,,,,,, The lower one is a real begger to get depending on if you want both FMCs working.

Whatever you decide, it is worth considering getting a few in stock as they are not being made any more.
Joe.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#43 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

My plight over the years has been a solution to reduce the use of computer HDMI graphic card ports for hdmi displays within AM. Builders should not have to pay a premium for multiple RPI licences and complex coding for extra displays IMHO. Why should a AM user have to pay extra for additional displays??
If you have a computer with 4 graphic cards then you have 16("+") hdmi ports for screens on your basic license . If you have a simple one or two port HDMI graphic card, or no graphic card at all, then you are penalized by having to buy RPI licences to display those instruments you would love to have in your budget pit. Probably a push-back from some/most users.

Just saying.

But all that is for another discussion and not wanted here. I build with what is available and use the awesome features AM provides.

Will put bait out on media on the feasibility of getting screens made.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#44 Post by jph »

Hi Keith, I wouldn't even consider a pi for anything (obviously my opinion only!) (edit added - apart from the Zero 2W if the license was cheap enough on a single monitor basis - and it was fast enough of course :D ) . with the price of a nice dual HDMI USB adapter and quad monitor Nvidia cards being so cheap you can have what you want.

Anyway - as you say, that is probably worth a topic on it's own :)

Out of interest, what software / program / model etc are you actually using for the DU's ? - by this I mean to control what actually appears on the screens graphically ?
Joe
Last edited by jph on Wed May 25, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#45 Post by Ralph »

I did a search on Panelook, but nothing with that size.
It's probably completely custom made for Honeywell (?).

Keith Baxter

#46 Post by Keith Baxter »

jph wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:46 am Hi Keith, I wouldn't even consider a pi for anything (obviously my opinion only!) . with the price of a nice dual HDMI USB adapter and quad monitor Nvidia cards being so cheap you can have what you want.

Anyway - as you say, that is probably worth a topic on it's own :)

Out of interest, what software / program / model etc are you actually using for the DU's ? - by this I mean to control what actually appears on the screens graphically ?
Joe
Joe.

There is a South African that developed the ZHSI
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... 3660-zhsi/

However I plan to revive Dirks ND and PFD. I have done the EICAS some time ago. Along with all the other instruments.

Keith
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Wed May 25, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Keith Baxter

#47 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ralph wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:37 pm I did a search on Panelook, but nothing with that size.
Ralph,
Yes that is why I say say a custom screen is needed.

Keith

jph

#48 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:37 pm I did a search on Panelook, but nothing with that size.
Yeah, I had a look last night but wasn't optimistic. Even if the 'real' ones were available they are still TN as far as I can ascertain. I genuinely don't believe they would be any better than the 18.5 LCD unit in perceived visual quality when in use. Luckily there are stacks of 18.5 inch units around but they won't be for long.
I think any MIP frame being built or assembled nowadays should have complete freedom for panels with no brace areas so other options can be fitted, including allowing the panel lower edge to be below the lower edge of the DU (up to about 7CM or so) .. you then get a lot more freedom.

Hi Keith, thanks for the info, Yes, I know ZHSI and am seriously considering using it. I was wondering what others were using. I looked at prosim but - well, let's leave it at that ;) I have run it up (ZHSI) to see the quality and it really is bloody amazing, and, has just been recently updated. It seems well supported. It would be nice to see Derk's work finished. A fitting tribute and I am glad you are taking it on. I look forward to seeing your results.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#49 Post by jph »

@Keith Baxter
Hi Keith,
Can you please measure your DU Bezels for me ? - I think you said you have two types as well ?
Please be as accurate as possible preferably to around 0.25 of a mm on all if you can.
The total width and height on the outer edges- presumably the same ?? and also the inner display area width and height. Also, deducting one from the other should give the bezel frame width. Is the width of the bezel frame the same all around the 4 sides ?
'twould be much appreciated.

Some inroads being made for far more up to date monitors.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#50 Post by jph »

Hi @Keith Baxter
Just in case you missed the last post. If you get chance I would really appreciate the measurements if at all possibly for you. ?
Cheers
Joe.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.