LED Matrix using MAX7291

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Re: LED Matrix using MAX7291

#21 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

The mega2560 pro mini boards arrived along with the USB hub. Need to get some extra connectors and a few other bits.

flipityflip jiperdydoo in a jiffy a mock up PCB was printed. Now to find PCB mount USB male connectors and a few other bits. Looking good. :D
mega_board.png

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#22 Post by jph »

Nice one ! :)

Don't forget, even though there is a limitation on sink or source there is also the fact that most never use all the LEDs at the same time !. Hence one mega CAN handle loads of LEDs - perhaps 50 or more - just not all at the same time.
So if calculate the likely maximum 'in use' at one time numbers and then you spread the load across the megas you can still probably get the maximum amount you need. :)
Glad to see the old Keith back and kicking. !
Go for it you old bugger :mrgreen: - Nice one.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#23 Post by Keith Baxter »

jph wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:37 am Nice one ! :)

Don't forget, even though there is a limitation on sink or source there is also the fact that most never use all the LEDs at the same time !. Hence one mega CAN handle loads of LEDs - perhaps 50 or more - just not all at the same time.
So if calculate the likely maximum 'in use' at one time numbers and then you spread the load across the megas you can still probably get the maximum amount you need. :)
Glad to see the old Keith back and kicking. !
Go for it you old bugger :mrgreen: - Nice one.
Joe
Joe,
Thank you bud.

I want to have the test function working. That means all the led's, 7seg, 14seg displays, lcd clock and other indications will be on doing their test sequence at same time. Some flash others remain static full brightness.

So unfortunately I have to manage the mA draw on each board very carefully.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#24 Post by jph »

Don't sweat about the 7 seg units and alpha numeric units are they are 'muxed' (multiplexed) and the power draw is therefore minimal. It is really only the single leds that really contribute to the overall power consumption bro.
Looking forward to this beast along with the small nuclear power plant to run it haha :D
You will be glowing green.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.