What is important to look out for when buying a touch screen?

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

ryma

What is important to look out for when buying a touch screen?

#1 Post by ryma »

Hi

What is important to look out for when buying a touch screen? Must have features?
I had a touch screen to try it out, but I could only operate the Air Manager with the mouse.

The touch screen should be thought only to use the Air Manager

I am looking forward to your reply.

Regards, ryma

Tetrachromat

Re: What is important to look out for when buying a touch screen?

#2 Post by Tetrachromat »

Must Have Fature?

YOU must have the knowledge, how to setup up a touch screen, I think :D

Try this:
- open 'Control Panel'
- select 'Hardware and Sound'
- select 'Tablet PC Settings'
There you can configure and calibrate the touch display

And don't disconnect and reconnect displays while Windows is up and running, it gets confused easily and you might need to configure again.

Good Luck.

ryma

#3 Post by ryma »

Thanks a lot.

jph

#4 Post by jph »

If they sell touch screens in your local store then take a laptop with you and TEST them first - before buying !.

Otherwise if in the EU, then buy online to give you plenty of time to play and experiment. If you are not happy then simply send it back within 30 days for a FULL refund - no questions asked. This applies to ALL purchases such as this in the EU.
Buy 3 or 4 and send the ones you are not impressed with back for full refunds.
Of course, being in the EU (if you are) you also have a FULL 2 year warranty on the item(s)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

ryma

#5 Post by ryma »

jph wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:43 am If they sell touch screens in your local store then take a laptop with you and TEST them first - before buying ! . . .
Good ideas. Thank you very much.

jph

#6 Post by jph »

No Problem. Hope you find the right one.
Just a quick note re the 30 days no questions return.
Very important - it is actually 14 days by law and applies to online purchases. There is even one store I bought 3 different types of monitor from all 32" but different makes / models, then I tested and selected the one I liked the best and returned the other two. They even had an option to use their own courier for a charge of 6 euros only ! - amazing.
The 30 days is often given by the main PC and electronics stores here and is greater than their legal requirement..
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

ryma

#7 Post by ryma »

jph wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:31 am Just a quick note re the 30 days no questions return . . .
Good to know. Thx.

FlyerDavidUK

#8 Post by FlyerDavidUK »

Screen size is an important consideration. Larger screens (say 24 inches) allow you to display many more instruments, more useful for the more complex aircraft, but can take up a fair bit of your visual space. For those spending more time on instrument flying, this may be no bad thing.

Positioning is also important. Some screens include a stand that allows the bottom to be flush with your desktop and angled slightly upwards. However if you have a yoke, it may obscure the bottom/middle part of the screen rendering it wasted. Some yokes have the option of a monitor stand - you can buy a very nice metal bracket for the Honeycombe Alpha which fits both a touchscreen and knobster, although it might seem a little pricey for some. In this case, because the screen is closer to you, perhaps a smaller size can be almost as useful.

I would have thought that HDMI 1920x1080 resolution would be satisfactory for most applications. It must be connected directly to your PC (ie not using Air Player) if you want it to display any popped-out navigation screens, such as Garmin 430 or G1000.
UK Private pilot and flight instructor with CPL/IR/FI/IRI approx 2000 hours offering remote flight instruction via Zoom
See my FlyerDavidUK.com website for trip reports around Europe/US, my training experience and services offered