DIY USB hub

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Re: DIY USB hub

#31 Post by Keith Baxter »

jph wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:36 pm Hi @Keith Baxter kei
Looks fine. Usb 2 is no problem for 7 serial as its 480Mb/s.
Nice board. The connectors are a lot smaller than 2.54 pich. Probably 1mm or 1.25.?. The measurements for the board are given so you can take a scale measurement. ?
They are through hole though so you can wire them downwards onto your pcb with single solid core. A good source for the cable-solid core-is some old cat 5 cable at it is all solid. Or, i think the jst connectors are available in the same size. ?. You can get 4 core no problem. Nice find. Lovely board.
Joe,

Yes, the pitch looks like about 1.35mm or something. That makes sense since the jack power adapters have a 1.35 pitch. Going to have to make my own.
Measured the whole diameter and it looks like 0.6mm, that means that the SIL pins will work. Or I could try and find some 0.6mm wire.
Will look and see if something is available.
Will 3D print the base and pull out the pins from a SIL connector. :mrgreen:

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

Re: DIY USB hub

#32 Post by jph »

Hi Keith, I would try to avoid SIL if possible. The spacing appears to be a non standard 1.4mm
usb connector Keith.jpg
I am sure you could squeeze a 1.25 JST 4 pin in there with a tiny tweak to the pins with fine needle nose pliers ;) - or even better just pull the pins out of the connector and 'tweak' them and solder them direct to the board. The use the male plug directly onto them. That would be easy, you would just have to mark the orientation.

If you search for JST 1.25mm header you will find plenty, and you can buy the cables ready made. You will see what I mean.

Or, as you say use appropriate cable direct to the board. If you find the cheapest and thinnest usb cable with the correct end for the arduinos then that would work fine.

If you look at this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000033 ... mainSearch

And compare the size for the actual cable to the usb micro plug you will see that it is very small usb cable. You can buy right angle plugs for usb micro so with a 1 meter cable as above, and a pack of right angle micro connectors you could make up custom cables.

You are getting to be like a mad professor in his lab. I can imagine you in a white coat with a crazed look and a crate of Amstel ........ :lol:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.