Garmin GTC 580 on old cell phone?

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

ballhogjoni

Garmin GTC 580 on old cell phone?

#1 Post by ballhogjoni »

I saw this video where they were using an old cell phone for the GTC 580. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to set that up? Would you use a usb cable to connect? My phone doesn't have a hdmi connection.

Ralph

Re: Garmin GTC 580 on old cell phone?

#2 Post by Ralph »

Probably a desktop extended to an Android phone.

Crunchmeister

#3 Post by Crunchmeister »

In theory, yes, this works. With Spacedesk, you can connect any phone or tablet and use it as a touch screen for your PC. I use it on a pair of tablets to display Air Manager windows and it works like a charm. Plus it's free.

However, in practice, what he's got displayed in this video isn't feasible at the current time for a few reasons. Also note that not once in his video did he actually USE the GTC on the phone. That's because he can't.It's just sitting at the default screen.

There are 3 rather horrible issues in MSFS that currently prevent this from working.

1. Touch support is buggy at best, not working at worse - Some people manage to get touch support working on MSFS popout windows, but unreliably for the most part where you have to click on stuff multiple times for it to register. For most people, it simply doesn't work at all. Apparently it does work if your main display is a touch screen (laptop as an example) and you don't move the popouts outside of that main screen, which defeats the purpose of popouts in the first place.

2. Touches on the external touch screen get registered as clicks in your virtual cockpit - This is a new bug since SU7. Using MSFS popouts in an external touch screen will register touch commands inside the main sim window as well. This means trying to use your touch screen, you could accidentally trigger stuff in your cockpit. The side effects of this could be benign such as activating lights, or fatal as in opening a storm window at high altitude / speeds causing a fatal crash.

3. Moving your mouse cursor into a popped out sim window kills all your physical controls - Yup. Pop out any window in MSFS, including ATC or the VFR map. The move your mouse into one of those windows. All your physical input devices like yoke, stick, throttle, pedals, Xbox controller, etc will become unresponsive until you move the mouse cursor out of that window. You don't even have to click in order to give focus to that window. Just moving the mouse over it will cause trigger this bug. And it's been there since launch and ignored by Asobo since despite tons of reports of it.
Last edited by Crunchmeister on Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

ballhogjoni

#4 Post by ballhogjoni »

Ya apparently it's pretty simple. A simple google search, "connect old phone to windows 10 as another display", brings up a lot of results.

ballhogjoni

#5 Post by ballhogjoni »

Thanks @Crunchmeister for the info. I'll keep that in mind.