Pi Zero 2W support ?

Support for connecting hardware to the Raspberry Pi GPIO

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Pi Zero 2W support ?

#1 Post by jph »

Hi @Corjan & @Ralph
Out of interest, have you guys tried air player on the new Pi Zero 2W ? - Lovely board with lest 1GHz chipset
I have just set one up as an ADSB feeder for flight tracking. Amazing little thing. The ADSB image is pretty damn complex and detailed and it is hardly taxing it.
Really cheap at about 17 euro.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

Re: Pi Zero 2W support ?

#2 Post by Ralph »

Yes, we had some hardware running on two Zero's. It is doing alright when the resolution isn't full HD. But it had to do some canvas stuff, which was CPU intensive, and that had it struggling a bit.

jph

#3 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:00 pm Yes, we had some hardware running on two Zero's. It is doing alright when the resolution isn't full HD. But it had to do some canvas stuff, which was CPU intensive, and that had it struggling a bit.
Interesting Ralph, that was definitely the Zero 2 ? - not the original Zero ? . (the Zero 2 is about 40% faster single threaded and 500% faster multi threaded )
I am presuming you are referring to Garmin stuff ?

Otherwise It's probably Keith's ( @Keith Baxter )fault if it's canvas related :D :mrgreen: ..
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#4 Post by jph »

Just for anyone that may be interested - here is a screenshot from ASDBx on the pi Zero 2 W a few minutes ago in the local area. I just picked one at random. Even military flights are shown.
If you set up a feeder station then you get free and unlimited commercial access as you are a 'contributor' to the tracking. It is basically the Pi Zero 2W, a 'Flightaware Pro stick plus' SDR radio and an antenna and thats it. You then become part of the network of tracking stations. you can get the sdr radio and the antennas here -https://shop.pimoroni.com/?q=adsb
If anyone wants real time compete display with all data for their sim then this is it. Would make a nice instrument ;) - if only the sim could be linked to real time traffic...
Or, if you are just want all the info you can have from around the world, and to be a part of the ground station network, and not pay 90 quid a month to use the network. !
ADSBx.jpg
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

Ah sorry, I did not see the 2W. It was indeed the first single core version. The 2W will definitely do a lot better.
I was also thinking about making a ASDB receiver out of a Pi in the (new) office, then add it to that open source ASDB network. It's pretty useless I suppose, but a fun project.

jph

#6 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:12 pm Ah sorry, I did not see the 2W. It was indeed the first single core version. The 2W will definitely do a lot better.
I was also thinking about making a ASDB receiver out of a Pi in the (new) office, then add it to that open source ASDB network. It's pretty useless I suppose, but a fun project.
Ah, yes if it was the original Zero then the Zero 2 W is a whole different animal in terms of performance - completely new quad core 64 bit processor @ 1 GHz. Massively improved over the old Zero.
The ADSB stuff is actually really interesting, especially the 'grey birds' - the military stuff. It is definitely fun to do and also cheap in the great scheme of things. It is also fit and forget. Depending what is around you it is often fine to put the antenna inside the roof space. Only a power outlet is needed as the Zero 2 W is full wifi. Once you connect to the network and start 'feeding' you get all the data transferred between the nodes around you as well. I am going to output data onto an old 27" monitor mounted high on the wall in the shack. But of course it is also accessible from any network device. I like to have an airband VHF rx also, as well as the HF stuff. I also hold an Amateur radio A license (Over 40 years now- yikes) so it forms part of that hobby as well which I am getting back into as the sunspot cycle is now coming good again after a 5 or 6 year low so the next 5 or 6 years will be excellent.
The deal that pimroni have on the 5dBi antenna at the moment is absolutely excellent (the one for £17 or £18 ... ) great price and quality external antennas and I don't think that price will be so low for long. If you do decide to buy the antenna drop me a PM.

Any way, if you get chance, try Air Player on the Pi 'Zero 2 W ' I think you may be surprised. It is a very very nice board. Might be a great and cheap addition to AM.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.