GitHub support

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

fscats

GitHub support

#1 Post by fscats »

I had previously made this suggestion during some correspondence related to a ticket (EAHN-ZRCA-UQJE - panel folder deleted), and the support person thought it might be "interesting", as it hasnt been added yet I thought I would add it here to this forum.

In order to a) maintain backups and b) share air manager code, it would be nice if a panel/instrument could be checked into/out of a git repository from Air Manager. Note, I have manually implemented this by first starting a panel/instrument in Air Manager and then from Git Desktop adding the folder as a repository. The only downside to this solution is I have to pop back and forth to make my commits and pull requests.

On a different, but some what related ask, it would be nice to be able to specify the name and location of the folder containing a project (instrument/panel). The current mechanism where a random (?) guid is used to name the folder makes it painful to do any work on the instrument from outside of Air Manager (i.e. editing graphics), as you have to try and decipher which guid is which instrument.

Sling

Re: GitHub support

#2 Post by Sling »

Not bad ideas but there are some downsides as I see it.

I wonder how many users would use the Github features. Would it be worth the effort to add and maintain for just a small number of users. I have something similar but to my local server.

The UUID are necessary for unique folder names. But I agree it’s hard to find what you want from outside of AM. Perhaps a combination of the UUID and the AM instrument name used for the folder name would be a solution.

Tony

Ralph

#3 Post by Ralph »

We thought about a Github integration as well. But like Tony said, we would be putting a lot of work into something only a handful of people are using. We much rather invest that time into creating something for the mass. We also use Git. I usually, after working on something, open the directory from the Create/Edit tab, go one up to find the folder and then copy that folder to our Git. It might not be elegant, but it works :)

fscats

#4 Post by fscats »

Popping this back up, as I am working in Air Manager again, and see that the directory names are still obtuse in Version 4. Addressing this (Tony's suggestion was guid and gauge name) would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure about the argument of who would use Github, given it is the defacto standard code repository and version management for just about any development these days. It would at least be nice if there was a git friendly directory structure for Sim Innovations, something as simple as being able to configure the storage location of instruments (alla SPAD.neXt, where I just a new FIP gauge directory which happens to be my git directory for the project).

Right now Air Manager lacks any backup and version management capability, it is the only development platform I use (I am a professional {non-FS} developer with a large software company) which does not.

Still love the product, just wish it addressed this.

Evan

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

I suppose that those are software packages that have a big development team. We've got just two developers, who don't work full time.
We're busy with a big project at the moment. Maybe in 4.2 or 4.3, but we have to see what the priorities are at that point.

jph

#6 Post by jph »

I wouldn't actually say it is high on the list of what people want or even need. Is it worth putting ANY effort into it ?
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

There are indeed a few other things that would be more useful, like extending the navigation API.

Keith Baxter

#8 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ralph wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:51 am There are indeed a few other things that would be more useful, like extending the navigation API.
Hi,

Yes that would include a vector "MAP" and "TERRAIN". But I am done flogging that dead horse. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#9 Post by jph »

:D
ArcticGoodnaturedChameleon-size_restricted.gif
Joe. CISSP, MSc.