Instruments for the Hot Start CL650

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Malaromane

Instruments for the Hot Start CL650

#1 Post by Malaromane »

Hello everyone.

I'm very new to Air Manager and creating instruments. I've started working on various instruments for the Hot Start CL650. So far, I've only completed one of the control panels (the Radar Control Panel?).

It's pretty simplistic and I'd welcome any comments or critiques in order to improve my work.
RadarControlPanel.png
Challenger_CL650_-_Radar_Control_Panel.siff
(159.45 KiB) Downloaded 135 times

JackZ

Re: Instruments for the Hot Start CL650

#2 Post by JackZ »

Hi.
Welcome to the the panel creators’ club, an addictive hobby! 8-)
Since you are asking for it, I suggest you to add some small improvements on the graphic parts of your panel, that seems to be done with Skinman (but the tricks can be applied with any graphic editors).
My main advice is to add some shadows to your dials and buttons to add a sense of depth to your panel. This will greatly improve the quality look.

In Skinman, add the "Drop shadow" effect for your button, set an offset value of your choice (try 2 to 4 for the buttons, 8 to 16 for the dials) and a shadow density value of around 60.
This will create an offset shadow that extends at 45degrees to the bottom right. Save each button and dial separately including its shadow. For the rotating dial, the shadow image itself has to be separated from the dial image, or else the shadow will rotate in the dial_add().

For the buttons, I suggest you create two graphic versions: one with a shadow offset of 2 (button pressed) and one with an offset of say 4 or 5 (button released).
If you use both images in your button_add() function instead of nil for the released state, the animation effect of a button depressed will be automatically added. You can also add the +1 pixel shift in X/Y for the depressed state of your buttons that you already implemented and which is good, add the "reduced length" of the shadow when the button is depressed and it will be perfect!
And this simple shadow effect will trick your brain into thinking that the buttons and dials are sticking out of the panel!

Second, I suggest you add a "backplate" to your panel.
IRL the panel itself is mounted on a metallic plate that serves as a mounting background (backplate), so it is a good idea to add a rectangular plate behind the whole panel, roughly with the same color but slightly darker. The front panel itself having a certain thickness (hence a 3 to 4 offset drop shadow), it will protrude above the backplate.

Also IRL the 4 mounting screws are called Dzus and are protruding slightly from the panel (around 0,75mm) so a shadow for each Dzus is recommended.
Each screw is hand mounted so it is very likely that the slot of each screw will be in a different orientation. I suggest you rotate them at random to add some realistic feel to your Dzus.

Lastly, since you seem to be already familiar with the boolean operations in Skinman, I suggest you add for each button/dial a slightly larger than the button/dial itself (+1 pixel wide) hole in your panel for each of your buttons, so they appear to be protruding "through" the panel holes.
Then add a black rectangular rectangle in between the backplate and the frontplate, so the "hole" effect is complete.
The frontplate (ucp_background.png in your case) will have no longer the buttons in it, but mere holes with a black background as IRL.

Here's a quick and dirty example in Skinman.
image.png
A bit of an extra work, but "Devil is in the details" :twisted: , and the overall graphic look of your panels will be greatly improved by these little tricks.
Keep up the good work!

Jacques
Attachments
image.png
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Malaromane

#3 Post by Malaromane »

Thanks for those tips, @JackZ. I really struggle with graphics work -- even more so than the coding side -- so your tips are greatly appreciated. I'll work on incorporating those improvements into my instruments.

Since you're offering graphic tips, do you have any tips on how to make toggle switches (either in Skinman or Gimp)? I *really* struggle with those, especially trying to make them appear to be in an up or down state rather than straight on.

Malaromane

#4 Post by Malaromane »

Here's my take on the CCP panel.

This one will have the same graphic deficiencies that @JackZ pointed out above but I figured I'd post it anyway. I'm working on improving the graphics but in the meantime, I took a few baby steps down the "user_props" path and added the ability to configure the instrument for use on either the Pilot or First Officer side of the cockpit.
CCPPanel.png
Bombardier_Challenger_CL650_-_CCP_Control_Panel.siff
(286.06 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
I have also updated the DCP panel I posted above to make its position selectable as well but I won't repost it until I've updated the graphics. If someone wants the updated version, I'll post it.

JackZ

#5 Post by JackZ »

Malaromane wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:19 pm Thanks for those tips, @JackZ. I really struggle with graphics work -- even more so than the coding side -- so your tips are greatly appreciated. I'll work on incorporating those improvements into my instruments.

Since you're offering graphic tips, do you have any tips on how to make toggle switches (either in Skinman or Gimp)? I *really* struggle with those, especially trying to make them appear to be in an up or down state rather than straight on.
I reckon that toggle switches are difficult to draw in 2D as these are 3D in nature.
The idea is once again to play with drop shadows whose shape varies upon the up or down position,
Could you post an example of what you are looking after as there are many switch types?

Malaromane

#6 Post by Malaromane »

There are a bunch of different toggles I'm trying to reproduce but here is a screenshot from the CL650 light panel that has one style I'm trying to create:
OHPLightsPanelSample.png

JackZ

#7 Post by JackZ »

Definitely this kind of toggle switches is difficult to draw in 2D as they are 3D by nature and are protruding a lot from the panel.

Their relative position to the “sun” for the drop shadow also change depending if the switch is ON or OFF, so the drop shadow shape changes accordingly.
No simple trick applies in that case unfortunately.
I will try and draw a few shapes in the following days and will post my results here.

Jacques

JackZ

#8 Post by JackZ »

There you go.
toggle_switch_off.png
toggle_switch_off.png (4.1 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
toggle_switch_on.png
toggle_switch_on.png (3.63 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Enjoy

Jacques
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif (3.57 KiB) Viewed 3045 times

Malaromane

#9 Post by Malaromane »

Oh! Very nice. Thank you.

I'll study these to see if I can improve my skills to make my own.

JackZ

#10 Post by JackZ »

Completely forgot I had already made a YT video on this very subject!
Enjoy.