MAX7219 list of available characters that can be displayed.

Questions about deployment and use of Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: MAX7219 list of available characters that can be displayed.

#21 Post by jph »

Keith, with 7 segment, this is the most you can do -

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/seven-segm ... ng_letters

Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#22 Post by Keith Baxter »

jph wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:28 pm Keith, with 7 segment, this is the most you can do -

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/seven-segm ... ng_letters

Joe
Yes Joe, Exactly.
Hopefully @Corjan can squeeze it in AM4.1

This is the current characters. Many missing.
http://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.ph ... n_tutorial

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#23 Post by jph »

Hi Keith, I see what you mean. I thought that after Jacques hard work that Corjan had changed the dataset ????
Is it a lack of update on the wiki, or does it simply not work ?

This is EXACTLY what I was hinting at - well, more than hinting ;) the other day where if @Corjan scrapped the pre-defined characters apart from numbers then you could use the full range of ascii / decimal from 0 - 255 and hence use ANY segment combo you like, AND also control an 8 x 8 matrix LED display. I do not understand why the characters (not number) have to be pre-set when it can be done in Lua code by the user, that gives total control. - and as said, gives you FULL ACCESS to a matrix display or similar. Baffled here.
(also, merry Christmas you old goat :shock: :D )
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#24 Post by Keith Baxter »

jph wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:46 pm Hi Keith, I see what you mean. I thought that after Jacques hard work that Corjan had changed the dataset ????
Is it a lack of update on the wiki, or does it simply not work ?
Joe ,

I don't think Corjan has gotten around to it because only the characters in the WIKI work. He is normally very good and quick with things like this. Only thing I can think of is that it turned out more difficult than he thought so it is on the back burner. Not sure.

You know that this is going to escalate for support for 12 & 14 segment drivers. :lol:
The Pilots spending a small fortune building pits want the realism and hardware instruments in the store to do that. Hmmmm

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Keith Baxter

#25 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

After testing the current characters available for use with the MAX7219 this is my finding. @Ralph

NOTE: NO characters after "P" . Upper case or lower case.

Upper case letters.
271412353_633454137872492_967165366188589350_n.jpg
So ... A,B,C,D,E,F,H,L,P work.

Lower case letters.
271434741_648708736276790_8767039848882159621_n.jpg
So ... a,b,c,d,e,f,h,l.n,o,p work

Keith

jph

#26 Post by jph »

I think I have definitely mentioned this before -and I think @Corjan said he had an issue with ram on certain low end arduino. BUT - the ability to do a custom character at will opens a whole new world. Not just in the 7219 char set, but in the use of the 7219 as not only custom LED drivers - which is absolutely what it does in non translate mode - which you appear to definitely be using. A basic binary assignment to a byte to send to the data steam would be absolutely amazing and offer incredible opportunities - no need for 'custom' characters as such as the user would simply define a binary 8 bit and the code is capable of sending this. The 7219 is an amazing device - let's make the best use of it. Using the 7219 you can (after ignoring the 'normal' character display ) drive 64 independent led's, drive 64 independent relays, drive 64 devices of ANY logic level requirements (yes, MUX'ed but no worries) _ PER DEVICE !. if you advocate a max of 4 devices then the capability is 64 x 4 = 256 logic level outputs to do with as you require. Think of it as a complete data port OUTPUT expander for 3 pins from an arduino to 256 pins if you limit it to only 4 devices.
As an example, this would allow a COMPLETE warning panel with displays to be driven by a SINGLE 7219. ! - even with overall fully customised dimming built in.
A huge opportunity.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#27 Post by Keith Baxter »

Joe,

I think the confidence in the MAX7219 was not there. Hence as Corjsn said something to the effect "reluctant to develop further" was understandable.
It seems that confidence is improving. So who knows, something new might pop up.

You have to learn how to butter up the SI guy @jph :lol:

Keith

jph

#28 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:48 am Joe,

I think the confidence in the MAX7219 was not there. Hence as Corjsn said something to the effect "reluctant to develop further" was understandable.
It seems that confidence is improving. So who knows, something new might pop up.

You have to learn how to butter up the SI guy @jph :lol:

Keith
:lol:

That was possibly not the whole issue my favourite 'cabra velha'. ;) The issue with the statement above was the confidence (or lack of!) in the modules they had to test at that time. I can fully understand the lack of expanding the coding when the bloody hardware you have simply does not work, or, even to want to put any effort into it at all.

Possibly you are using the 'buttering up' as a lubricant ? :mrgreen: - mind you ! - it seems to be working so I need to learn your charms....................................
Joe. CISSP, MSc.