Questions about deployment and use of Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

JackZ

Re: Grob 115e Tutor By IRIS Simulations

#11 Post by JackZ »

Capture.PNG
I added the Statistics and the Waypoint pages:
Capture3.PNG
You can cycle through the three pages by pressing the ESC button.

For the later (WPT page) to work, of course some waypoints have to be defined in FSX usisng the navigation menu.
Capture1.PNG
The definitive version for my part!

Jacques
b4005461-3837-411c-ad2f-3b2613f427aa.zip
(90.42 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Ralph

#12 Post by Ralph »

JackZ wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:43 am The definitive version for my part!

Jacques
Yeah right! :mrgreen:

colin866

#13 Post by colin866 »

Hi Chaps,
Thanks again for your replies and JackZ stupendous work on the GPS Unit and gratefully received. I have attached images of the instruments we still have to conquer. I will get the cadets working on the 5 smaller gauges that are very similar. The EGT/OAT, Volts/Amps, Fuel Qty, CHT/Fuel Pressure Ind and Oil Temp & Pressure Ind. If anyone can point me in the direction of a video or instruction book to help with the coding maybe some of my cadets will understand it a lot easier than I can.

Thanks again
Colin
Attachments
BK KT73 Transponder.png
BK KN53 Nav Radio.png
BK KMA26 Audio Control.png
Manifold Pressure and Fuel Flow Guage.png
Airspeed Ind Grob115e.png

JackZ

#14 Post by JackZ »

As I've just finished the Baron 58 Airspeed indicator, and now that I have found the proper MILSPEC font, I can easily create the Tutor Airspeed indicator by reusing my existing code.
I'll work on it within a week or so and will publish it when ready.

FYI you can also use the very nice 3 needles generic accelerometer made by Russ and already in the store.

As per the radio stack, you could probably reuse the code from existing instruments already in the store such as the KMA 26 which is very similar to the KMA23, and the KX165A. It's a matter of recreating the graphical elements using Skinman and using the images templates you provided as a guide in Skinman.
Just create an image element in Skinman with this template, put it on top in the tree view with a 30% transparency, then start drawing.

The key is to think in advance of what elements are supposed to be moving and create them as separate .png (with transparent background) elements, to be used later in the code.
Time to learn Skinman!

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

russ

#15 Post by russ »

There are many here that will help with your gauges if you can do the graphics. The code can be easily modified from existing instruments especially for these analog devices instruments. The graphics will take the most time.

Start with a high resolution image of the various instruments all in the same scale. To do this using your sim orient your view perpendicular to the panel and zoom to a good size. Then move the view left/right and up/down to capture a screen capture of each one you want to use. This will assure the scale stays consistent. The built-in window snipping program works fine to capture the video mages. The app mages you posted look perfect.

Then you can create a new Skinman project for each instrument and set the size (in properties) to the size of the captured graphic( you can scale all images equally if they are too big). Then import the image into Skinman to use as a background image to start your work.

Skinman is a bit tricky at first but is remarkably powerful. there is a pretty good tutorial by the author at:

http://www.g200kg.com/en/docs/skinman/tools.html

There are some online tutorials posted at:

https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... n_Tutorial

The language used is Lua and there are many online references for it. Anyone with a modicum of programming experience and learn it along with the Air Manager API that is also posted at our wiki. It is here:
https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... _Logic_API

Finally there are YouTube tutorials at the Sim Innovations channel(search Sim Innovations)

I think a few motivated cadet computer protégés should pick it up quickly. Make an effort and we will help you along.

Good luck and post some of your questions and drafts here for mentoring by our users.
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

colin866

#16 Post by colin866 »

JackZ and Russ you are Gods to the FlightSim world.
Thanks so much for your help and guidance I'm off to cadets tonight to preach the gospel of JackZ & Russ.
Cheers.
Colin :D

colin866

#17 Post by colin866 »

Hello Everyone,
Apologies for the lack of communication, just finished my first ever skin, go easy on me. I have done one of a cluster of 5 on the left panel it's the EGT / OAT gauge. I have managed to obtain a Large A3 graphics image from the M.O.D of the Grob Tutor instrument panel and just yesterday I was at RAF Cranwell sat in the student's seat of said aircraft doing a bit of measuring.The screws are the colour shown and they all sit at the same angle OCD at its best.
A very tight fit with the instrument panel being 39" wide and just over 10" deep. I have started to tinker with my temporary switch panel as well if I'm not already busy enough with other things. Oh well we all have to make sacrifices for our hobby.
Thanks for now.
Colin
Attachments
screen_2017-05-21 18.54.06.jpg

russ

#18 Post by russ »

It looks great. Have you created the logic too?
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

colin866

#19 Post by colin866 »

Hi Russ,
Thanks for your kind comments, the logic coding is my achilles heel I do not understand coding no matter how it is explained to me I just do not get it unfortunately. I was hoping one of your associates might be kind enough to give me a helping hand or even coax me through the basics.
Thanks
Colin

russ

#20 Post by russ »

It would be quite easy to do a gauge like the one you have made the artwork for. But... It need to have the airplane you are using. Is it freeware or payware? What would really be best is to do a teamviewer session where I could work remotely on your computer while you watch and learn. Unfortunately I don't have much time until FlightSmCon on June 10-11. I have much to do to get ready to demo version 3.0 there. Happy to help if I can. We could code that gauge literally in 15 minutes(30 with explanation :) ).
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist