Starting A Cockpit Build - A Few Questions!

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Buzz71

Re: Starting A Cockpit Build - A Few Questions!

#11 Post by Buzz71 »

Thanks everyone. So what it boils down to is that I should make the jump to X-Plane if I want to make this a realistic option. It seems like Air Manager/knobster is a better fit for x-plane as well?

I'm in two minds, I'm starting to think I should just make the cockpit dedicated 737 ... go with Zibo and air manager as many instruments as possible. If I want to go GA then maybe I get MSFS back on the old PC.

I have PMDG 737 on P3D, how will I find the transition to X-Plane Zibo?

jph

#12 Post by jph »

Hello @Buzz71
I suggest you start a new thread about Zibo in the general section at the end (for users opinions and interfacing capabilities). I believe there are a few users and have heard really good reports. I believe some even have large touchscreen units for the overhead panel which is neat.
X-Plane is something you may or may not like. I use it exclusively and love it. However, I also use ORBX UK scenery and ONLY ever fly in the UK. The scenery is amazing. Personally, I have no interest in MSFS as it is more in the 'game' category with most development concentrated on the Xbox. The flight model and interfacing to the outside world are of poor quality. The graphics are nice, but so is X-P WITH ORBX.
Even on its own X-Plane is adequate in the graphics area and the amazing flight modelling and interfacing make up for any graphic issues if you are actually wanting a real flight experience.
With ORBX UK (they do many other areas) then I consider the graphics on a par with msfs - apart from the clouds in X-P which are utter shite imho ;) . XP-12 is probably due out in q1 2022 and this includes a hell of a lot of changes and supposedly REAL available multi core usage !! - a first for any sim.
Do you have anyone near you that you could visit to try X-Plane first ?. Also, I believe that the more real world flight experience you have the more you will appreciate X-Plane and the more you will look at things like msfs as purely game orientated - the 'bicycle mudguard principle' - shiny on the top but full of shit underneath.. :lol:
IF you really want proper surround views (front and side) then your options are XP, or 'the others' with wideview.
Again, this is all imho. Others may offer differing views - not on the monitors / monitor layout though I would suspect.

Another option may well be a really nice BFO TV/Monitor - a single, with P3D and air manager, and also use TrackIR - amazing - and no buggering about with vr which is still in it's infancy and you are pretty screwed in controlling much. Great for a few hours. A bit like a 'Fondue Set' or a 'Sandwich toaster'
Joe
Last edited by jph on Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Buzz71

#13 Post by Buzz71 »

Thanks Joe, I really appreciate your thoughts.

I think I might stick to flying a desk for now. I might stay on P3D then get X-Plane 12 when it comes out and see how that goes. There is so much flux with future of P3D, XPlane and MSFS - perhaps now isn't the best time to lock into one or the other.

jph

#14 Post by jph »

I think you are taking the absolutely best approach as my mid next year we should have new versions of X-Plane - hopefully - updated MSFS and, more importantly for msfs, see which direction they go in. MS do not have the best track record. Also, the other benefit, unless you really need to buy now, is that the hardware scalping on everything may have come back to normal and newer hardware may be available, or the last gen or 2 at that time be much cheaper. If the XBOX X came down to it's msrp then someone could buy 2 for the price of a single high end GPU for a PC and also MSFS looks and flies almost exactly the same on the XBOX X as it does on a high end PC. I don't agree with everything Russ says in his videos but he has a latest one about MSFS on XBOX and it looks and flies just the same. The honeycomb yoke is available for xbox now also.
Wish you well with whatever you decide. Keep us informed.
Oh,, and if you haven't considered TrackIR then take a serious look. Amazing piece of kit.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.