Aspen efd and air manager

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

davidfc

Aspen efd and air manager

#1 Post by davidfc »

I'm fairly new to this all but have been enjoying using Air Manager with the Sim Innovations Aspen Efd in the Baron X-plane sim. Very well done and an improvement on another implementation because the ground heading bug works correctly on this one. However, couple of things still opportunities here or I am using it wrong. 1) Sequencing through a GPS flight plan should happen automatically and update the course line on the Aspen. It does not but if I hit the course button it does move it to the next leg manually. 2) The RMI does not see the ADF 1 radio in the Baron I have it set up with. I have loaded another RMI instrument from Air manager and that works so I don't know where the gap would be with the Aspen. How would I go about resolving little things like this? Thanks!

Ralph

Re: Aspen efd and air manager

#2 Post by Ralph »

1. This one has already been discussed here on the forums many times. Search for auto course.
2. Would be strange, but I will give it a try.

davidfc

#3 Post by davidfc »

Thanks for the reply Ralph. I read those threads now. About the auto course- the API from XP must be complicated with the nuances of GPSS needing to be on for gps fpl auto course sequencing. I normally don't have the autopilot on and turn off the FD as well but after reading those threads, turned them on to check behavior. Turned out to be interesting. Regardless of autopilot on or off, engaged or not, The FD /autopilot are auto sequencing through the flight plan but the course arrow on the Aspen is not. The data block in the upper left is following the auto sequencing of the flight plan on the 430 gps. And for the really interesting part, if I bring a GPS1 arrow up on Aspen with either the right or left navigation source buttons, that pointer does auto sequence through the flight plan the way I am used to seeing the course needle go in real life. Here The CRS waits for a manual adjustment. I have found that if I push and hold the CRS button, the sync feature will sync it with the gps course line. So we have a semi- auto course sequence!

You probably already know all this... but after hundreds of hours behind the real thing, wanted to share. Like a lot of things in XP it's probably better to have things that work slightly differently than in the real plane so we have to think about it more while practicing a scan. Makes us be more aware of when something is wrong in real life.
Thanks for all you do, this is still an awesome piece of work!

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

Auto course would have to come from X-Plane, so I'm afraid that you'll have to contact Laminar Research for that.

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

ADF issue has been fixed. Laminar changed something in the ADF dataref.
Unfortunately there's no dataref that tells if there's a ADF signal. There's the station name, but I do not know if this is available for each station, so that's a bit 'dangerous' to choose.