A workaround to save size and position of Pop-up instruments in MSFS 2020

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

ylevesque

A workaround to save size and position of Pop-up instruments in MSFS 2020

#1 Post by ylevesque »

Pop-up instruments are very useful in MSFS 2020. The problem is that MSFS doesn't remember the size and position of these pop-up instruments.
But there is a work around. Fancy zones is a tool in Microsoft's PowerToys that allows to define zones on a screen and drop and drag windows in these zones.
This how to do it:
Download and install PowerToys (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/)
Launch PowerToys. Select FancyZones on the left.
Check or modify the Hot Key to launch the editor (I use the default Win`)
You can define your preferences but I personally select:
- Follow mouse cursor ...
- Hold shift keys to activate zones ...

You can then define one or many zones on your instrument's screen:
- Pop-up your instruments (PFD, MFD, etc.) by pressing the right ALT key and clicking on the instrument in MSFS.
If you pop-up many instruments, click on the eyeglass with a plus on the title bar to extract each instrument in his own window. Move instrument windows on your instrument's screen . Adjust the size and position
- Put your mouse cursor on the instrument's screen.
- Press the FancyZones editor hot key (ex. Win `). The Editor window is displayed.
- Click Custom, click Create new custom and click Edit selected layout.
- Enter the name of the layout.
- Press Add a new zone. Position and resize the ghost window around your instrument including the title bar.
- Repeat Add a new zone for each instrument.
- Press Save and Apply. A new layout is created.

The next time you load an aircraft in MSFS:
- Put your mouse cursor on the instrument's screen.
- Press the FancyZones editor hot key (ex. Win `). The Editor window is displayed.
- Click Custom, select your layout and press Apply.
- Pop-up your instrument (right ALT key and click) and extract them in their own window.
- Hold the SHIFT key and drag the instrument over your instrument's screen. Zones will be displayed in gray. Continue to drag until the mouse pointer is over the desired zone. The zone will turn blue. Drop the instrument in the blue zone. Repeat for other instruments.

It seems complicated at first but once your used to it, it is very fast.

This is just a workaround. I hope that Asobo will implement a better solution soon.
It is a great tool with Air Manager 4.0 (currently in BETA). You can create overlays to control these instruments (G1000, etc.). See my other post "A solution to control G1000 and other avionics in MSFS 2020" (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4165).

Touch screens work with these instruments (as the GTX 580 in TBM 930).
Select a transparent background and activate click-through in AM panels. Don't forget to select DX11 graphic API in AM's Settings.
You should activate touch in MSFS:
Edit this file (create a backup copy before):
<your MSFS content folder>\Official\OneStore\asobo-vcockpits-instruments-navsystems\html_ui\Pages\VCockpit\Instruments\NavSystems\Shared\NavSystemTouch.js
Change this line (currently around line 14):
_button.addEventListener("mouseup", this.onButtonPressed.bind(this, _callback));
for
_button.addEventListener("mousedown", this.onButtonPressed.bind(this, _callback));
You will need to double tap instead of single tap on your touch screen but it works.
NavSystemTouch.js may return to the original with MSFS update. You'll have to redo this change.
Comments are welcome.

Yves

ylevesque

Re: A workaround to save size and position of Pop-up instruments in MSFS 2020

#2 Post by ylevesque »

There is a new version of PowerToys/Fancy Zones.
The user interface changed a bit but the principles are the same.
Yves

ianwild

#3 Post by ianwild »

I did this in a different way, which I thought worth sharing as in day to day operation it's a little more elegant and straightforward, although a little fiddly to set-up.

1. Download Windows Layout Manager
- http://www.stefandidak.com/wilma/winlayoutmanager.zip

2. Install and (optionally) place a shortcut in your Windows Startup Folder

3. Pop-out the panel(s) you want

4. Add a new layout, and use the 'capture' and move options to move the screens to the right display and resize as needed - This is the fiddly bit. Hit test, see what needs to change, adjust, hit test again till you get it right. Trial and error but pretty obvious. My layout is configured to capture three windows now - G1000 PFD, MFD and the GNS530.

5. Enable a hotkey to activate the new layout.

So now my process when starting is to pop-out the screen, press shift-up and the window snaps to where to I want it seamlessly.

Nicomonor

#4 Post by Nicomonor »

Hi! I would like you to help me with something. I did all the steps you said, but when I shift+drag the instrument into the zone, nothing happens, it works with any other window I drag into it but not with de instrumento I pop-up from de simulator, I don’t know why this happens. Do you have any idea ?

ylevesque

#5 Post by ylevesque »

I now use Sizer 4.0 (http://www.brianapps.net/sizer4/).
It is easier to use.
Yves