7 Segment Display 6 digits

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Corjan

Re: 7 Segment Display 6 digits

#11 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Creating a multiplexed system will create a whole lot of extra configuration.

At the moment, the Arduino nano and uno are almost full, those are the once holding it back.
Other Arduino's, ESP32 and Raspberry Pi Pico has more then enough memory to add new stuff.

At some point we have to leave certain functions out of the lower end hardware I think.

For now though I would suggest (like others) to use the message port. There are a lot of Arduino libraries available that can get the job done quickly.

Corjan

jph

#12 Post by jph »

Mike Horsten wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:35 am Thank Tony and Joe for the background info.

If memory is an issue (sorry have see this but dont know how much mem is left), why not use a ESP with 4mb of memory with multiplexers for more access and more possibilities. The ESP32 has about 4MB of internal flash memory and since the data stored within the flash memory is retained even when power is recycled, it becomes super useful for applications where you need to keep certain amount of data even after power off. This could mean plug in and forget for leds, displays, buttons, switches and pod's all that dont need a visual display. Do i see this correctly or is this the wrong path.

Mike
Hi Mike,
Sorry if the above was misleading in some way.
Here, I am talking about why adding the function to the AM system almost certainly is a non starter...........
The 'storage' or 'memory' limitation would apply if Sim Inno were to add the functionality to Air Manager etc. The space on the arduino units is already quite tight and, it needs to support the most popular standard modules - (UNO / Nano) ... - and as said, the lack of a standardised TM16xx units is problematic (extremely !) as opposed to a 7219.
Also, the 7219 8 digit display is a nice, standardised size and compact module that can be used in a huge range of projects, whereas, the TMxxxx units are certainly not. They would have extremely limited real world use apart from dedicated cockpit designers or people who are willing to create their own hardware even if it means stripping a board to basics.
There simply would not be the demand for such, or indeed, the need, or, indeed the availability of standardised units - let alone the limited applications for such units with 99.9% of cockpit / hardware builders (guessing :D ) ... so no.

As for the ESP32....... I think I have made my lack of interest in this unit plain in the past. In my opinion only (not necessarily the views of Sim Inno of course !!! ), it is a total Lemon. The biggest issue is the ADC input / stability which is horrible and, that it is simply aimed at a different market with wireless comms etc..

The ESP32 (warts and all) has a possibility as a standalone unit running it's own version of a pseudo airplayer or updated functionality .. but obviously without video. that is completely up to Ralph and the guys though... even then the inclusion of extremely limited demand TMxxxx functionality is probably as rare as rocking horse sh!t.. ;)
There are some other great units as well.. the DUE for example..

edit - apologies @Corjan we cross posted then

Joe.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#13 Post by jph »

Corjan wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 am Hi,

At the moment, the Arduino nano and uno are almost full, those are the once holding it back.
Other Arduino's, ESP32 and Raspberry Pi Pico has more then enough memory to add new stuff.

At some point we have to leave certain functions out of the lower end hardware I think.

For now though I would suggest (like others) to use the message port. There are a lot of Arduino libraries available that can get the job done quickly.

Corjan
@Corjan

Hi Corjan,
I am really looking forward to experimenting with the PICO, the move to Arduino IDE will be excellent.
I would tend to think it will end up almost 80/90% arduino based for most users, similar to the NODEMCU project.
It is a perfect little unit that is screaming for arduino support and that seems to be well on the way.
Joe.

https://www.seeedstudio.com/blog/2021/0 ... y-pi-pico/
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Corjan

#14 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Arduino company will create a RP2040 based board. They will also add RP2040 support to Arduino IDE.

So it is only a matter of time before the Pico will be supported by Arduino IDE.
If that is the case, I will also make message port available for the Pico.

Right now, you can use pin mode (works in latest AM 4.0 BETA).

Corjan

jph

#15 Post by jph »

Corjan wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:26 pm Hi,

Arduino company will create a RP2040 based board. They will also add RP2040 support to Arduino IDE.

So it is only a matter of time before the Pico will be supported by Arduino IDE.
If that is the case, I will also make message port available for the Pico.

Right now, you can use pin mode (works in latest AM 4.0 BETA).

Corjan
@Corjan
Thanks Corjan,
This will be an excellent collaboration - or - meet up - (I think each one need the other to succeed !) where the Pi community and Arduino community come together.
Yes ! , please add - when the Arduino IDE /Pico is available - the MSG Port availability - although I suppose once the IDE for Arduino and the PICO support is added, the PICO will accept the current sketch. But it would be great to have it named - as you have done with DUE etc in V4. . this will be an amazing add on. There are already some amazing little addon boards - with graphics (segment) displays for the PICO and more to come with the OLED and LCD integrated units. I think it will be a small revolution in development.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Mike Horsten

#16 Post by Mike Horsten »

jph wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:00 am .....these units are superb for arduino with 8 inputs and 8 outputs and also 8 x 7 segs on 3 lines. There are 16 key modules for the 1638 but there CAN be issues with multiple simultaneous button presses that are not present on the 8 button units. - (due to lack of routing diodes)

https://www.banggood.com/pt/5Pcs-TM1638 ... rehouse=UK Note for FIVE units !

or of course the far cheaper AliX for the exact same units but a slightly longer delay in delivery ( no issue really)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280148 ... 5MmJC&mp=1 for 10 pieces ! BARGAIN.....
One huge question, i recieved these boards, have tonnes of ideas with them, think about a transponder and ADF modules. I see benifits but my meesage port knowledge is "0"
can some body share some code or tutorial how to address the 7seg, buttons and leds on these small wonders.

Mike
Building a home Cessna 172SP Steam. X-plane/MFS2020
(ex Name on Airmanager forum Polarair)

jph

#17 Post by jph »

Hi Mike.
Firstly, for the first part, forget AM / message-port (for now). The reason why is that it must all work correctly in the Arduino IDE code before you procede.
Keep a few things in mind.
Make the system work in Arduino only - you can use the serial monitor - or - by temporarily coding variable or events. - whatever.
Only then, when you have it all working, documented and sorted in the Arduino should you consider message-port.
Whatever data you intend to pass from the Arduino to AM, and visa versa, make it as absolutely as simple as possible. Let the Arduino do the work where possible. It tends to lead to less data being passed back and forth.
Once you can make it do anything you want on the arduino then look at the methods of minimising the code transfer that will occur to now take data to and from another system.

So, first make it work on Arduino only using dummy / pseudo inputs / outputs and monitoring tools such as SM etc.
Then, tidy it up to absolutely minimise the data transfer size and requirements.
ONLY after that move on the message port.

Basically, as you are using Arduino, make it do the bulk of the work and only pass necessary data. It speeds things up and keeps any loading low. That would be my approach.
Get the correct library for the display / sensor /whatever .. and then make the Arduino work properly with that library, then consider trimming down the input output requirements to the minimum, then consider MP/
Hope that helps ?
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#18 Post by jph »

Also Mike,
If this will help, here is a link to just one of the Arduino libraries that covers various boards with the 1638 .
https://github.com/gavinlyonsrepo/TM1638plus
Also, search the forums here for tm1638 and you will find some info.
You can find various TM1638 Arduino libraries via google search for TM1638 Arduino and pick one you like.
Hope this also helps ?
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Mike Horsten

#19 Post by Mike Horsten »

Joe,
Thanks for the reply. Was just wondering if anybody would like to setup a code for both Arduino side and messsage port for this device. As AM doesnot support 1638 like SimVIM currently does. (I know due to memory space)

I can imagine many fellow simmers would like to have such a example/basic code where they would be able to work from with out much knowledge of electronics. Maybe even make an instrument that takes care of this. Select the type of instrument you want and connect the correct pins. They allocate the buttons and led's for there function.

This small unit could easily make a COM, NAV, ADF, DME and even the Autopilot for many simmers. Opening Airmanager to a bigger group of players and simmers. They could work on there skills (likeme) to grow to bigger and more difficult projects.

I have found a nice link but they made there own plugin and C++ compile for FSX and X-plane 10. So im lost there really fast.

Video : plus links to the code for FSX and X-plane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIvtII2oioQ

Again the boards are cheap and with 8 char, 8 buttons and 8 led's (Some modules even have bi color (Green/Red)) for EUR 1,10 is a gamechanger for AM.
Just my two cents.
Mike

Mike Horsten

#20 Post by Mike Horsten »

Corjan wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 am Hi,

Corjan
Why not limit the functionality for the NANO and UNO and allow more in the other units. Resulting in more possibilities and a growth path. Say that you can do all you can do today with NANO and UNO but the MEGA or other newer boards can do more. Its a choice what you need on what board.
Nothing strange if you tell me that i can only do encoders/LED/Swithes/servos on one type board and LED's, 7Segments and OLED on another board. This gives you the space and you can move on to more type of hardware support.

Mike