Tell us more??

Air Player Mini is a small version of Air Player running on the ESP32.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Mike Horsten

Tell us more??

#1 Post by Mike Horsten »

Hi Ralph,

A bit more info?
Building a home Cessna 172SP Steam. X-plane/MFS2020
(ex Name on Airmanager forum Polarair)

Ralph

Re: Tell us more??

#2 Post by Ralph »

About what? :)

Ralph

#3 Post by Ralph »

Oh I see, Air Player Mini. I think there's a little description on the main forums which tells about the ESP32.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

Okay last one in a row :) Sorry!
Air Player Mini is a small version of Air Player running on the ESP32.

jph

#5 Post by jph »

HI Ralph.
I am a bit baffled by this also ? (not unusual for me :D )

If it is 'air player' albeit 'mini' - what kind of video are you proposing as the esp32 is extremely limited. ?
I would think it may manage a single small (very small - ie - 2 or 3 inch) very low res LCD - per esp32, and that's about it.
Can you please add a bit more info as to what you have in mind for this ?

Cheers,
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

The ESP32 has no video output, it's hardware only.

jph

#7 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:46 pm The ESP32 has no video output, it's hardware only.
Hi Ralph, yes, thanks, I know that. That is why I am wondering what you intend as an 'air player mini' ?
IT CAN be used with a very low res LCD, and I presumed (HOPED :) ) you were not intending for that, but I do not really understand what you are aiming for ? - that was the point of the post that as a 'player' I cannot see any use - as the 'player' would tend to indicate some form of visual output.
Hence, I am simply wondering how it could be used for any kind of 'air player' - in any form - unless - perhaps - you are thinking of using it for some kind of transmission medium over wifi ? ????
If that is the case, it then appears to be a simple bridge. - perhaps to another wifi enabled device ?

Maybe something is being lost in translation as I am completely baffled as to the intended use.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

The reason/idea why it is called Air Player (mini) is because once you've configured the ESP32, it does its own thing, just like Air Player for desktop would do. It connects to the simulator automatically and starts running the script. But there's nothing with visuals. Air Player for desktop could also run without any visuals if you only use hardware.

jph

#9 Post by jph »

Ah, ok Ralph,

My thoughts / understanding , from what I think you are saying - as I read it -

This would be a totally stand alone hardware unit - but over wifi instead of direct connection ?? - or perhaps direct connection but offering wifi / BT etc ? --- - running it's own air player version for independence.
It would offer no connection to other Arduinos - ie, it cannot be expanded (unless there is some plan to implement other modules via wifi / BT ? ), and no display output - as we discussed as there is no built in video / hdmi etc.
So, any hardware connected would be limited to the pins available on the esp32.?
I think I can see where you are coming from. The ESP32 (D) units are - generally - very capable units for a lot of uses.
I wonder what your experiences are though with the ADC linearity and stability on these unit ? . They do not have the best reputation, and without the ADC functionality, it would seem to be fairly limited?
It can certainly take some processing power / load away from the main PC, and offer a customisable interface as far as hardware I/O is concerned (within the limits of the device). If it can offer other device connection via BT or wifi, then that looks quite innovative and really interesting as to the possibilities.. but I would imagine the processing power to accomplish such is not there. ?

Again, I may way off the mark. However, I am genuinely interested and fascinated as to the real world application that may end up for this unit and AM.

Many thanks for the info though. I totally understand that the development is at an early stage, but it is really appreciated.

Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.