Garmin G5 P3D and no bezel power up

Questions about deployment and use of Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

navymustang

Garmin G5 P3D and no bezel power up

#1 Post by navymustang »

I have the RealSim Gear G5 hardware bezel with the Sim innovataions G5 single HSI instrument running on it with P3D v5.

I am running without the software instrument bezel of course. Since the hardware bezel is for X-Plane only, I need a way to tell the G5 instrument that the power button has been pressed, or to have it powered up at all times.

The crazy part is - there are times when the instrument runs, but I can't replicate it.

Any suggestions as to how to tell the G5 instrument (without bezel) to run without using hardware input?

Ralph

Re: Garmin G5 P3D and no bezel power up

#2 Post by Ralph »

You'll need to make their bezel work with our software:
http://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.ph ... ealSimGear

navymustang

#3 Post by navymustang »

Ralph - thanks for the reply, somehow I missed that last paragraph.

However, when attempting to flash the G5 bezel I continuously get the not synch error and the flash fails after 10 attempts. Another post on the forum hints that perhaps the Uno used in the G5 is a clone and doesn't respond correctly to AM's flash routines.

I made sure it was the only Arduino online, checked baud rate, tried A through D channels, everything I could think of.

I wonder if anyone else has had success in flashing the RealSim Gear G5?

Right now I am cheating and have the bezel off screen where I can press the power button for 5 seconds to start it up, with the actual display centered in the G5 bezel image space. Works great but not a clean installation.

kjbaas

#4 Post by kjbaas »

The Nanos I use for my Knobsters are clones. I have been able to successfully flash them from AM by selecting the Use old bootloader (for old Arduino Nano) option on the Board Settings page.

-ken
Attachments
image.png

navymustang

#5 Post by navymustang »

Ken - thanks for the advice, but when I go to the Flash Device page in AM (v3.7.10) that option is not available. Just the COM port and the Channel.

Are you using the Beta 4 version? I have tried running that but it crashes constantly in my sim.

Jim

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

I couldn't flash mine as well, I had to install the RealSimGear software first, after that it started to work. There's no Arduino inside, but they use the same chip, 32U4 I think it is.

kjbaas

#7 Post by kjbaas »

Jim,

I'm also running AM 3.7.10. To get to the screen I included I go to the Device tab, select the Flash button on the right (middle of screen), then select Arduino Nano and Next. I have the AM 4.0 Beta on a different computer and I see basically the same thing.

Is the board being recognized by Windows correctly? For the computer with the AM Beta it was appearing under "Other Devices" and I had to search for and install the driver from ch341ser.zip for it to appear correctly under Ports (COM & LPT).

image.png
image.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 3052 times

-ken

navymustang

#8 Post by navymustang »

OMG - I have to thank you. Prior to your last post I went to the RealSImGear site and downloaded their installer and ran it as per your suggestion. Then miraculously, the G5 showed up on COM5.

I then flashed it from within AM, and after just a little more playing around, it now is fully operational

Now that stupid part, using screws to go into the plastic case to hold it in the panel.

I complained to RealSim folks that after installing and removing a few times, the plastic holes would be destroyed. They couldn't understand why I would ever do that. I guess that they forget that we builders add things, paint things, etc.

SO thank you again - I now have a fully operational G5 in my helicopter sim.

What kind of sim do you have at home?
Jim

Ralph

#9 Post by Ralph »

I had the same issue. I asked the guys from RSG and got the solution, it's pretty daunting at first :)
We got one unit for exhibitions, if those ever will return :) But it might go into an R44 simulator eventually.

navymustang

#10 Post by navymustang »

BY the way - was just near you last year on vacation and visiting my good friends at Prosim. I'll be with my other Dutch friends next weekend. They have a home on the west side of the country. But they also have a home here in West Palm Beach, Florida.

I'll be back in the Netherlands early next year on vacation.