Multiple GPUs

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

bigblip

Multiple GPUs

#1 Post by bigblip »

Having had a break from sims for quite a few years, lockdown has got me back into it. I can't believe the fantastic strides that have been take in flight simming technology! I'm really looking forward to taking my immersion to another level and I am very excited about Air Manager.

So, my question is this: I have 2 x NVidia RTX2070S in my pc (in surround mode) and I understand FS2020 only uses one of them. I have three monitors connected to one of the GPUs. If I was to get a touch screen, could I connect it to the second GPU or would it need to be connected to the same GPU that is driving FS2020?

Thanks for any advice. I've downloaded and will be testing the 4.0 beta and I'm really hoping I can do this.

Cheers :-)

freedom

Re: Multiple GPUs

#2 Post by freedom »

Yes you can assign specific graphic card to run different programmes via the nvidia control panel

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc ... d-3612668/

Hope that helps

Sling

#3 Post by Sling »

Air Manager doesn’t even need to be on the same machine as the sim let alone the same graphics card. That’s why it’s so popular with simmers.

jph

#4 Post by jph »

bigblip wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:03 pm Having had a break from sims for quite a few years, lockdown has got me back into it. I can't believe the fantastic strides that have been take in flight simming technology! I'm really looking forward to taking my immersion to another level and I am very excited about Air Manager.

So, my question is this: I have 2 x NVidia RTX2070S in my pc (in surround mode) and I understand FS2020 only uses one of them. I have three monitors connected to one of the GPUs. If I was to get a touch screen, could I connect it to the second GPU or would it need to be connected to the same GPU that is driving FS2020?

Thanks for any advice. I've downloaded and will be testing the 4.0 beta and I'm really hoping I can do this.

Cheers :-)
question ? - are you running an NVLINK bridge or two independent 2070s units ?
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

bigblip

#5 Post by bigblip »

Sorry all, I didn't see any replies as I didn't check the notification box. NOOB!

Thanks for all the advice. I went ahead and bought a (relatively) inexpensive touch screen and downloaded the 4.0 beta. I had a few teething troubles, but today I managed to sort it all out. I think I went about it through a very tortuous route, though!

@jph - I'm using nvlink. By profession I am a videographer and 3d artist and with the 3d especially it helps to combine the vram.

@Sling - Now that is very good to know. I am a complete newcomer to Air Manager so have only gone through very basic setup guides.

@freedom - very useful indeed, thank you.

I was able to set the whole thing up after a bit of fiddling, although at the moment all four monitors are conected to just one of the cards. Whenever I plugged a monitor into the second gpu I didn't get any signal. I am guessing that this is a feature of nvlink, i.e. it 'hides' the second gpu from the user, while poaching its vram. Just a guess, though.

Through fiddling with Surround settings I was able to get the panel to show on the touch screen, however I struggled with the touch gestures. Even though I was touching the touch monitor, the effects were happening on the main screen(s), rendering the touchable knobs and switches on the panels useless. However, that was resolved by going into Control Panel/Tablet and telling Windows which monitor is the touch screen. So, all is now working and I am one happy bunny.

Like I said before, I am blown away by flight sim technology today. I started in the days of the Apple II, but life took over and although I bought FSX I spent most of my time flying under London Bridge to impress my kids. That soon got boring LOL! This time around, though, I have really thrown myself into it and tools like Air Manager have made for such an improved immersive experience. I'm going to play around with the beta a bit longer but I am definitely a customer when 4 is eventually released.

Thanks again for your help.

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

I think you most likely mean Tower bridge unless you have a particular interest in London bridge. :)

bigblip

#7 Post by bigblip »

@Sling LOL indeed I do mean Tower Bridge! I should hang my head in shame as I am a Londoner!It would be a very clever feat of flying to fly under London Bridge!
image.png
I suspect even the great Al Pollock (who I know) would struggle to achieve that. If you don't know who Al Pollock is, it's well worth looking him up!

jph

#8 Post by jph »

bigblip wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:50 pm Sorry all, I didn't see any replies as I didn't check the notification box. NOOB!

Thanks for all the advice. I went ahead and bought a (relatively) inexpensive touch screen and downloaded the 4.0 beta. I had a few teething troubles, but today I managed to sort it all out. I think I went about it through a very tortuous route, though!

@jph - I'm using nvlink. By profession I am a videographer and 3d artist and with the 3d especially it helps to combine the vram.

Thanks again for your help.
Hi,
Thanks for clarifying the Bridge.
Unfortunately, there is so much MIS-information on the emptynet regarding such a new technology. (and almost any other subject!) NVLINK, as I know you know, is not a master / slave config. it is not SLI .. yet many seem to answer queries with info grabbed from fora regarding SLI with little research. So when you, who have successfully used the technology in a real world situation ask for specifics it is 'almost' impossible to sort the chaff to get a real answer as so little use the latest tech, but many have used the completely different SLI and tend to answer based on misinformation - that also includes google searches etc - and, some of the more 'respected' :? sites.....
I think your usage case is interesting. (very interesting) ;)
Can I suggest you speak to the guys that know ?
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/support/consumer/
Ask them about your specific usage scenario.

When programs don't specifically support dual gpus (99% of them unfortunately............ :( ) then it is so difficult to find the best solution.
MSFS is, like most (all ?) sims on the market for flight - processor bound for most of the time. (and definitely not supporting dual gpus in any config that makes any difference !. Usually it makes things worse due to lack of specific coding - which is actually understandable for such a niche market .
I have both a 2070S and a 2080ti. They are both in different rigs, however, it is easy to swap out a gpu for testing. The main rig is running at 5.2 GHz (all cores) with a 9700k. All settings at max apart from level of car / vehicle detail. (I dont use aircraft on ground or reflections greater than the first setting.)
Test have shown little difference between the cards apart from when the abysmal weather system in X-Plane is used... then the thing can be brought to it's knees by AI Filtering. Also, in general use, the processor can be dragged down by the amount of vehicles in use which is not a setting that can be controlled via the interface - it needs to be set manually in the dataref tool.

Anyway, basically, with absolutely NO weather in XP, then the gpu (2070s to 2080ti) makes little difference, as the so called weather is added, then the gpu can easily become saturated and become gpu bound as opposed to processor bound.

the bottom line is - as far as x-plane (I know jack about msfs 2020 - however I 'suspect' it is similar') then adding a fourth monitor running Air Manager to a single gpu will make such a small difference as to not be noticeable - both with a single 2070s and a 2080ti,, There ARE notable difference in the performance of the sim between gpus, but with AM, you can remove that from the equation as it is so little load as to make - for all intents and purposes - no difference as it is so lightly loaded.

Definitely ask your specific questions to NV. I can offer direct 2070S and 2080ti comparisons, but, unfortunately not with msfs as it doesn't offer what I need (at the present time). With XP and ORBX UK, the graphics, I believe, are far better in the UK (not the rest of the world) than msfs - .. however, I only fly in the UK so it makes no difference to me. - the 'weather' is, I believe FAR better in msfs, as anything must be better than XP weather. :lol:
Joe.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

bigblip

#9 Post by bigblip »

Cheers, Joe, that made very interesting reading. Thankfully, in the 3d world there are certain groups (the Octane rendering community on FB being one) with some very knowledgeable people, and they have been a great help when it comes to wading through disinformation! It is indeed a bit of a minefield - especially to someone with a smattering of knowledge, like me.

Certainly I need to take a step back and plan my third party app strategy. I have noticed a drop from around 60fps to 30fps since adding various apps. I need to work out which one is (are) the culprit. Not that 30fps bothers me, to be honest, and if Air Manager is a sucker of frames then I'll gladly put up with that for the convenience and joy of the wider immersive experience. It's my understanding, though, that for FS2020 it's still early days, and there is much tweaking of bridges and apps to be done for a smooth experience.

I'm a patient guy. NOT!

Thanks again for the useful comments.