Cloning Hardware Properties

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Tetrachromat

Cloning Hardware Properties

#1 Post by Tetrachromat »

This is a "comfort" feature request/wish.

Current Scenario:
When I clone my 737 MCP hardware instrument or add it to a panel, I have to set the hardware properties manually for each button, LED, encoder and displays. As it uses almost every pin of an Arduino MEGA, to enter all the settings it takes a few hundred mouse clicks and it is quite error prone selecting values from the drop down lists.

Future Scenario:
When I clone an instrument the hardware properties are copied / cloned together with the other instrument data/information. Either by default or by a general setting. Or as an alternative, copy it in a separate step.

Paul

Keith Baxter

Re: Cloning Hardware Properties

#2 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,
Best not to use “named” hardware.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Tetrachromat

#3 Post by Tetrachromat »

I did follow the recommendations as stated in the WIKI: "Hardware Id's are not preferred, try to use named hardware instead."

Coming from a functional programming background, I also prefer doing things 'declarative' rather than 'imperative'. So it was natural for me to use 'named' hardware.

But given the current context for that proprietary hardware, your statement seems valid.

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

The statement on the wiki is a little mis-leading. I’ve advised a few people who are making hardware panels only for them to use the hardware id method as it obviously hard codes everything and can’t be lost or disrupted without a code change. Named hardware is absolutely recommended when sharing because it allows each user to configure their own hardware board and pin configuration.

It was a while back but I think I also suggested the wiki note be updated to reflect this thinking.

Tony

jph

#5 Post by jph »

Sling wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:48 am The statement on the wiki is a little mis-leading. I’ve advised a few people who are making hardware panels only for them to use the hardware id method as it obviously hard codes everything and can’t be lost or disrupted without a code change. Named hardware is absolutely recommended when sharing because it allows each user to configure their own hardware board and pin configuration.

It was a while back but I think I also suggested the wiki note be updated to reflect this thinking.

Tony
good point. and great explanation.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.