AM 4.x Road-map

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: AM 4.x Road-map

#11 Post by jph »

Ah Jeez mate. :) that is class !

Three names I will never forget from that show.. and who are now stars in their own right.
Enrico Schiratti
Luciano Napolitano
And of course, the up and coming Pete Dowson.

WideFS, Project Magenta, Wideview - and of course, the early iterations of FSUIPC. Without these guys, FS would be history. It is arguable that Pete's FSUIPC was THE greatest thing to ever happen to FS> !.. even MS DID NOT KNOW the interaction of the modelling due to legacy code and no documentation - seriously ! . A lot like fs2020 today where asobo have no real idea of the original legacy code for flight modelling (or lack of) - they are simply trying to work around it.. Bruce had a lot to answer for haha. :lol:
These guys were using 6 screens and projectors in 1998/99 !
Nothing new under the sun.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#12 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

This thread created a lot of AIR. Non helpful but provided some smiles :D :D .

@Ralph @Corjan Is there any chance of some house keeping and updating on this page? It looks like it is a little lagging ;) .

http://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.ph ... er_Roadmap

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Corjan

#13 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

That page is kinda a legacy page, will remove it. For some reason I cannot do that from here...
We have no clear plans on what we want to do with AM yet, so there is no use for this page.

Corjan

Keith Baxter

#14 Post by Keith Baxter »

Corjan wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:14 pm Hi,

That page is kinda a legacy page, will remove it. For some reason I cannot do that from here...

Corjan
Corjan

I understand.
It would be something peeps would like to see though, Perhaps another version?
Corjan wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:14 pm Hi,

We have no clear plans on what we want to do with AM yet,

Corjan
Do I sense a EOL for AM and a new product on the horizon? :D

200.gif
200.gif (557.31 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
Keith
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Corjan

#15 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

There is a good chance that we have a big commercial project, that might take about a year to complete.

Some of the features created there might trickle down into AM eventually, but after AM 4.1 we will pause development on AM for that time.
Unless there is something urgent off course.

Corjan

Keith Baxter

#16 Post by Keith Baxter »

Corjan wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:47 pm Hi,

There is a good chance that we have a big commercial project, that might take about a year to complete.

Some of the features created there might trickle down into AM eventually, but after AM 4.1 we will pause development on AM for that time.
Unless there is something urgent off course.

Corjan
That is awesome news for you guys.

Wishing SI well going forward and most certainly have my support.

We look forward to updates and progress on all fronts. Going :arrow:

Keith

Keith Baxter

#17 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

Jumping on the back of this conversation. Has SI considered a junior product for the up and coming youngsters?

I have a 10 year old grandchild that is very interested in tech and games.

Keith

jph

#18 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:58 pm Hi,

Jumping on the back of this conversation. Has SI considered a junior product for the up and coming youngsters?

I have a 10 year old grandchild that is very interested in tech and games.

Keith
Hi Keith, I don't want to piss on yer chips, but probably the best thing is learning Arduino with simple leds, switches, displays, encoders etc. Also, just general use of a great graphics program such as the old and still amazing PSP 8. or gimp - etc. ? . that is enough I would think. ? - I don't see this as a specific case for a junior AM.
Joe ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Witzman

#19 Post by Witzman »

As i heard the term EOL here….
Just a question… in the past days, after you bought a cd with licence key for a piece of software you could install it also after the manufacturing company went out of business.
Today, with online licence checking or downloading stuff on the fly more and more customers are not able to continue using „their“ systems, when companies/visions/business models changes. If i remember correctly some home automation software or fitness trackers had these problems.

Have you thought about this? How will you handle it?
As many people putting endless hours in these kind of hobbyprojects, it would be very sad for them loosing the software.

If i dont need features of new major 5.0 or 6.0 somewhen, can i continue using old version (without support) or is there a forced update? Can you maybe give some kind of „verbal guarantee“ that even if you come out with a better product or if AM will be discontinued people will still be able to use what they already have?

Just for interest, because thats the first software for me where all the hobbywork is based on…..

jph

#20 Post by jph »

Witzman wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:40 pm As i heard the term EOL here….
Just a question… in the past days, after you bought a cd with licence key for a piece of software you could install it also after the manufacturing company went out of business.
Today, with online licence checking or downloading stuff on the fly more and more customers are not able to continue using „their“ systems, when companies/visions/business models changes. If i remember correctly some home automation software or fitness trackers had these problems.

Have you thought about this? How will you handle it?
As many people putting endless hours in these kind of hobbyprojects, it would be very sad for them loosing the software.

If i dont need features of new major 5.0 or 6.0 somewhen, can i continue using old version (without support) or is there a forced update? Can you maybe give some kind of „verbal guarantee“ that even if you come out with a better product or if AM will be discontinued people will still be able to use what they already have?

Just for interest, because thats the first software for me where all the hobbywork is based on…..
Hi witzman, very good observations. I also wonder too about Ralph and Corjan not being about for a year - apart from time to time. Yes, 4.1 will be a good release, but I am 101% sure i will have many bugs. How much time can the guys spend on the fixes ? - what are we left with ? - who will moderate the forums ? - god forbid some that I can think of that will clear the place lol :)..... I am reasonably sure that the older versions will work, and possibly be more stable. however, I have no idea how that would work compared to a simple CD etc. I seriously worry for the future of the product if the main guys are away for a year. We are nowhere near 4.1 yet. 4 was and is buggy as a bug fest.
Here's hoping but not holding my breath. I think 3.7 would be far better as a stable release - with a list of issues - that can be sorted and worked around in most cases. the later ones have no roadmap, no real list of issues and fixes, no plan to speak of. Better the devil you know.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.