Addition if Arduino micro

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

JohnF

Addition if Arduino micro

#1 Post by JohnF »

Can you add the Arduino micro to Air Manager as it is a nice small unit for smaller instrument control.

Ralph

Re: Addition if Arduino micro

#2 Post by Ralph »

Uhm...that's supported in Air Manager... so... I'm not really sure what your question is?

jph

#3 Post by jph »

JohnF wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:13 am Can you add the Arduino micro to Air Manager as it is a nice small unit for smaller instrument control.
Are you talking about the very 'unused' and unpopular 'micro' ... or, the VERY popular and very often used 'pro micro' with the 32U4 processor ?
I don't think anyone uses the 'micro' in the real world due to the totally rip off cost. A Pro Micro is a far far better choice,,,, however,, not yet supported by AM.
Personally, I wish they would drop support for the 'micro' and replace it with the 'pro micro' but hey /// :D Just IMHO of course.

I don't know anyone who knows anyone who ever met anyone who even has a friend of a friend that knew or met anyone that ever considered or bought a 'micro' .........................
:lol: :mrgreen:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Mike Horsten

#4 Post by Mike Horsten »

Raspberry Pico is a better solution about the same foot print but more memory and faster.

Mike

PS: and low price :D
Building a home Cessna 172SP Steam. X-plane/MFS2020
(ex Name on Airmanager forum Polarair)

Corjan

#5 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Agreed, the Raspberry Pico seems to be best board in town.
It also has better PWM control.

Corjan

jph

#6 Post by jph »

Corjan wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:45 pm Hi,

Corjan
Arduino IDE now has full support for the Pi Pico. !!

https://blog.arduino.cc/2021/04/27/ardu ... 40-boards/
I can see what you meant regarding PWM @Corjan ! the flexibility in pin assignment and the amazing hardware embedded functions are mind blowing. I can't wait to see what YOU can do with the board for AM. The possibilities for speciality AM support and features written by your good self in a custom AM specific flash image is outstanding.

There is one BIG problem that I think they dropped the ball on..... that is the complete lack or pin markings / numbering or and info on the 'top' of the board.. the normally visible part. I DO hope they correct this as I believe it is complete snafu by R_Pi on this. Having the markings on the 'bottom' of the board is a total nightmare - to say the least. it renders it a bit of a joke in actual usage - NOT ability... :shock:
I am planning to mount the board 'upside down' and bring out the boot button and add a 'reset' button. I don't know what they were thinking of with this :shock: :? :roll: . - unless I have missed something obvious ????

Also, users must be aware of the 3.3V nature - as is the general trend. AND the pico pins do not appear to be at all 5V tolerant ! But I am sure that - if needed a nice cheap but very high quality - TXS0108E - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 4c4dK6BgCL can sort most issue with existing 5v based peripherals. It will be needed though with a lot of supported add on boards - or, another level converter solution. One good thing is that boards that only accept writes - such as most displays etc - and most stepper drivers, accept 3.3V - even if out of spec on the datasheet. so YMMV.

I am sure some enterprising company will bring out a 'breakout' board that the pico plugs into that gets around most of this with proper markings !.. but unneeded added expense/

Message port will also run fine. I am sure that some really interesting board specific - or adapted - libraries will become more prolific although virtually all currently available libs seem to run fine, some may not offer the full feature set of the board - for Arduino IDE. I am sure most users who do any Arduino programming don't want to look at another scripting language etc - we already, in AM, have LUA and Arduino IDE.. ;) :)

I just managed to order 2 PICO units from Portugal (MAUSER.PT) a few days ago and they should be here on Tuesday. They haven't been available here at a sensible price up until now - and virtually no stocks. Only 4.59 Euro each board - inc vat ! - and plenty in stock so they seem to be getting them moving.
Looking forward to experimenting as they do look bloody impressive !.

There is also another 2040 board under development (for Arduino and other uses) - the Nano 2040, but I don't think that would be of much interest to AM users as it is aimed at IOT users with a U-Blox NINA wifi and BT block and also a 9 dof MEMS unit - and an estimated price to match .. :shock: - probably around 30 to 40 euro. YIKES ! :| :shock: :? :)

I will stick to the standard Pi Pico at around 4 euro ..... :D
I look forward to a new generation of opportunities for AM and custom units with this amazingly low priced feature packed board.
Joe
Last edited by jph on Sat May 15, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#7 Post by Keith Baxter »

Corjan
Hi,

Just to add. You do not need a separate RPi licence for the RPi pico. So don't let that put you off.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#8 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:00 am

Corjan
Hi,

Just to add. You do not need a separate RPi licence for the RPi pico. So don't let that put you off.

Keith
Hi Keith, The Pico is absolutely no way related to a standard Pi main board - although I 100% accept that is what you are saying - Just wanted to clarify for others. I think it is really good you point that out to avoid ANY confusion.
The two are miles and miles apart - in fact, in no way related with the only commonality being the brand / trademark - not the designation or design.
Well noted .
Joe. ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.