COPY / PASTE not removing highlighted text ?

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

COPY / PASTE not removing highlighted text ?

#1 Post by jph »

Hi chaps,
Sorry if this has been discussed before but the search returns so many copy / paste results that are not related.

Ok, so here is my issue. :?:

It is perfectly normal and indeed expected that in any editor I have used - or within windows or- any program /IDE / Development system -. Even notepad / word / Vis Studio etc etc etc ... that ANY time you 'copy' a piece of text, then highlight another piece of text and then paste at that highlighted position, that the highlighted text is overwritten by the paste function - as it should be :!: . Yet, in AM (both current and latest beta), it is not ???? :shock: :o :shock: :?
This is REALLY frustrating and seems to go against all norms. :(

In this case, the original text - that you wanted and expect to overwrite - because you highlighted it SPECIFICALLY for this reason - is left untouched and the pasted text is simply appended :?: :?: :?: . This is surely wrong imho.
Please can @Ralph or @Corjan comment, or of course, any other member familiar or aware of this issue ?
Is there an option / preference I have missed ? or is old age and poverty catching up with me.. ;)
regards
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

Re: COPY / PASTE not removing highlighted text ?

#2 Post by Ralph »

Here I can perfectly select/highlight and overwrite. So I'm not really sure what's going on on your system.

jph

#3 Post by jph »

Hi Ralph, definitely doesn't work here in either V3x or beta 4. It simply leaves the original text prior to paste. Please can others try this ? My system is absolutely 'normal' - the same way it has been working for more than 25 years. :shock:
Regards
Joe

Just to confirm ? - you are using windows ???? :)
Last edited by jph on Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

Your the first one to report it, so it seems like an isolated case. But maybe some other people can try as well.

Keith Baxter

#5 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ralph wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:44 am Your the first one to report it, so it seems like an isolated case. But maybe some other people can try as well.
Ralph,

Joe is 100% correct. Been like that since day one the editor came out.
I just high-lite whatever is to be replaced and hit delete before pasting.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#6 Post by jph »

Thanks Ralph. Joe ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#7 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:48 am
Ralph wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:44 am Your the first one to report it, so it seems like an isolated case. But maybe some other people can try as well.
Ralph,

Joe is 100% correct. Been like that since day one the editor came out.
I just high-lite whatever is to be replaced and hit delete before pasting.

Keith
Thank Allah Keith, I though old age had finally caught up :D .
Should be absolutely no reason to hit delete.
My nurse had to give me my 'steady pills' :lol:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

Maybe you mean something else, but if I get what you mean then that works perfectly here on all my systems. Video:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=13diQB ... dMo__zoMSD

Sling

#9 Post by Sling »

I'm pretty sure I reported these issues a long while back. I have a list somewhere I'll see if i can dig it out if there is motivation to fix them. I was kinda waiting for 4.0 to release before mentioning them again. Some immediate ones come to mind.

The cursor placement after <CR> is particularly annoying. If i hit <CR> at the beginning of an indented row of code i expect this line to be moved down one and the cursor still sitting at the beginning of the row with a new blank row now one row above. If i hit it a few times I expect that many new lines but with the cursor in the same spot as i originally put it. It does some weird identing with the cursor position a code on the existing line and then you have to fix it up. Most annoying and very time consumming.

When you hit <CR> the rows above that point scroll up out of view a row at a time but only if there is code on that line. It works the opposite when the line is blank. Its more logical to move the rows down below the cursor position and it seems to be the convention also. Try it on row 1 and you don't see the new row. IMHO it should scroll the editor window down a row to show the new row above with the cursor sitting at the beginning of row 2.

The weird highlighting mentioned here. I find it highlights the text when i don't want it highlighted. Often when you click at the beginning of the row. In fact its not highlighted in the strict sense because if you hit delete it just removes a single character rather than everything highlighted. You generally have to click somewhere else and then highlight it by dragging across the text to get it truly highlighted.

When you paste something the editor window is scrolled to make the row with the pasted information as the top shown row. It should just stay as it is. i.e. no scrolling.
Last edited by Sling on Sat May 01, 2021 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jph

#10 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:01 pm Maybe you mean something else, but if I get what you mean then that works perfectly here on all my systems. Video:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=13diQB ... dMo__zoMSD
HI @Ralph

If you use the windows short cuts CTRL + X (cut) or CTRL + C (copy), and then CTRL + V (Paste) - pasting after highlighting the area, it works. I only found that out this morning by trying the old ;short cut; approach as I noticed you didn't use the right click option in AM.
Using windows short cuts is time consuming and not necessary.
I, and am sure many others, use the mouse to highlight and then a simple right click and select the action, then mouse sweep again to highlight and then the paste option from mouse right click. Hand never leaves mouse and takes next to no time. I use this in all text editing in whatever program.
The right click option doesnt work in AM even though the menu is there.
Please give it a try. There is definitely a problem in AM with the right click menu options.
Taking the hand of the mouse to then select a shortcut on the keyboard, then return the hand to the mouse is totally counter intuitive to me.
I have found that 'Mac' programmers tend to use the rather convoluted approach due to the mac 'right click' still needing CTRL being held (ASFAIK ?) - this is certainly not the case in windows.
Cheers
Joe.

edit - also, if you use the 'buttons' provided in the API for cut / Paste it still does not work so I can only presume you are using keyboard shortcuts ?
Last edited by jph on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.