Navigation API

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: Navigation API

#91 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:48 pm Hi,

We need to give credit when credit is due.
Keith
Agreed, and 100% credit to you also for YOUR awesome work. :)
Looks amazing.
Nice work Keith.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#92 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi

When this is done can we please have access to this data. I am all set and waiting.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://developer.x-plane.com/article/w ... adar-data/

Weather_radar.png

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Keith Baxter

#93 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

@Corjan @Ralph

My short "play around" with beta 21 <nav features> has brought up some observations.

AIRPORTS

1) ["SIZE'] is not represented.
2) Is the need for ["IFR_CAPABILITY"] really needed in this NAV type? Please give example where this field would be used on an airport search.
3) A ["TOWER"] field would be much more helpful that the field in point two above. This would allow for ICON changing along with point four below.
4) ["SURFACE_LONGEST"] would be best represented as {Unidentified , Hard ,Soft, Water} rather than a numeric representation. Similar to NAV type <COMMUNICATION["TYPE"]> The reason for this is simplification in filtering and the unnecessary extra code required. I creates a whole bunch of if .. ifelse etc.
5) A ["BEARING_LONGEST"] field would also stop cross referencing AIRPORT and RUNWAY NAV types just to rotate an ICON on canvas_draws() and lists.

VHF_NAVAID

My very first take on trying to work with this NAV type is it is TOOO BIG. Would be better if it was split so that non vor is separate. The amount of filtering and tables created to do certain things makes a big instrument.

Oh the ["RANGE"] field is missing so one cannot determine the range ring of a VOR

Someone said. :mrgreen: Keep things small and have many. Don't make things to big.

I think that someone will agree. :lol:

Keith

EDIT: The AIRPORT, NAV type DB is a search DB used for maps,basic searches and limited information. What we need next is a DIRECTORY type feature. An AIRPORT_DIRECTORY, DIRECTORY type DB should only be used to <directory_get()>
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

#94 Post by Ralph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 am 1) ["SIZE'] is not represented. That's correct, has been discussed on Skype, will follow later.
2) Is the need for ["IFR_CAPABILITY"] really needed in this NAV type? Please give example where this field would be used on an airport search. It is available in the database, so it's there, if you don't need then just don't use it :)
3) A ["TOWER"] field would be much more helpful that the field in point two above. This would allow for ICON changing along with point four below. You can search for the communication on a specific airport and see if there's a TWR.
4) ["SURFACE_LONGEST"] would be best represented as {Unidentified , Hard ,Soft, Water} rather than a numeric representation. Similar to NAV type <COMMUNICATION["TYPE"]> The reason for this is simplification in filtering and the unnecessary extra code required. I creates a whole bunch of if .. ifelse etc. The communication type is a string, so I don't see the relation there... ?
5) A ["BEARING_LONGEST"] field would also stop cross referencing AIRPORT and RUNWAY NAV types just to rotate an ICON on canvas_draws() and lists. Same as with the TWR, you can do a search for this. The data isn't available in the database, so it's not there by default.

VHF_NAVAID

My very first take on trying to work with this NAV type is it is TOOO BIG. Would be better if it was split so that non vor is separate. The amount of filtering and tables created to do certain things makes a big instrument. Splitting these would make it very complicated, both for us and the user. Their part of one table, so that's not gonna happen I'm afraid.

Oh the ["RANGE"] field is missing so one cannot determine the range ring of a VOR There might be more bugs, we're still working on it, so don't worry.
As I've mentioned before, this is just a first start, things will change with future updates. Don't go overboard with this.

Keith Baxter

#95 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi Ralph,

This is BETA yes, and recommendations and downfalls I would have hoped would be welcomed to get top prize.

I do not think I am going overboard. Simply stating my findings and experience using for you guys to use or loose.

I am stubborn so the input will continue and hopefully some aspects taken not of.

Keith

Keith Baxter

#96 Post by Keith Baxter »

HI Ralph.

I did a quick read of your post. I did not notice you replied with in my quote.

As you know I have privy to Navgraph airport DB. These are all the fields that are available from them and I think many more.

As the nav features "grow" what I indicated above would be appreciated.

Code: Select all

{
			"file_id": 1,
			"ident": "ENTO",
			"name": "Torp",
			"city": null,
			"state": null,
			"country": "EUR",
			"region": "EN",
			"fuel_flags": 0,
			"has_avgas": 0,
			"has_jetfuel": 0,
			"has_tower_object": 0,
			"tower_frequency": 118650,
			"atis_frequency": 119070,
			"awos_frequency": null,
			"asos_frequency": null,
			"unicom_frequency": null,
			"is_closed": 0,
			"is_military": 0,
			"is_addon": 0,
			"num_boundary_fence": 0,
			"num_com": 6,
			"num_parking_gate": 0,
			"num_parking_ga_ramp": 0,
			"num_parking_cargo": 0,
			"num_parking_mil_cargo": 0,
			"num_parking_mil_combat": 0,
			"num_approach": 10,
			"num_runway_hard": 1,
			"num_runway_soft": 0,
			"num_runway_water": 0,
			"num_runway_light": 0,
			"num_runway_end_closed": 0,
			"num_runway_end_vasi": 0,
			"num_runway_end_als": 0,
			"num_runway_end_ils": 2,
			"num_apron": 0,
			"num_taxi_path": 0,
			"num_helipad": 0,
			"num_jetway": 0,
			"num_starts": 0,
			"longest_runway_length": 9216,
			"longest_runway_width": 148,
			"longest_runway_heading": 179.32899475097656,
			"longest_runway_surface": null,
			"num_runways": 1,
			"largest_parking_ramp": null,
			"largest_parking_gate": null,
			"rating": 1,
			"is_3d": 0,
			"scenery_local_path": null,
			"bgl_filename": null,
			"left_lonx": 10.257710456848145,
			"top_laty": 59.19769287109375,
			"right_lonx": 10.25951099395752,
			"bottom_laty": 59.175708770751953,
			"mag_var": 3.071148157119751,
			"tower_altitude": null,
			"tower_lonx": null,
			"tower_laty": null,
			"transition_altitude": 7000,
			"altitude": 285,
			"lonx": 10.258610725402832,
			"laty": 59.186668395996094
		},

Keith

Keith Baxter

#97 Post by Keith Baxter »

@Ralph @Corjan

Referring back to the VHF_NAVAID Nav feature.

Perhaps an answer would be to have a "helper". within the ...

nav_get_nearest(nav_type, lat, lon, max_entries)
nav_get_radius(nav_type, lat, lon, distance, max_entries)

Something like ...

nav_get_nearest(nav_type, lat, lon, max_entries, filter_field, operator, value)

Operators could be. (~=, ==, <,>,<=,>=)

In other words if i wanted only only airports with "HARD" runways ....

nav_get_nearest("AIRPORT", 52.222484, 5.483563, 10, "SURFACE_LONGEST",1,data_callback

For runways longer than 5000ft ...

nav_get_nearest("RUNWAY", 52.222484, 5.483563, 10, "LENGTH",>=,5000,data_callback

Keith

Keith Baxter

#98 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

My requests are to simplify the recreation of this basic xplane map.
ice_screenshot_20210215-151022.png

I do not see this done simply for AIRPORTS in < layer_id = map_add_nav_canvas_layer(map_id, nav_type, x, y, width, height, draw_callback)>

Currently it is necessary to use THREE NAV data files for this achievement. AIRPORT, RUNWAY, COMMUNICATION.

AIRPORT file for position. RUNWAY file type and heading (Orientation of the icon image), COMMUNICATION for if the airport has operational tower(color of the ICON in this case blue or magenta).

This might be OK for the gifted code nerd's, Not so sure for average Joe.

Keith

Sling

#99 Post by Sling »

Ralph,

I went to look up something on the wiki and all the new nav API information has been taken down. I expect for an update. When can we expect this useful information back?

Ralph

#100 Post by Ralph »

I'm not sure what you mean. Still works here.
https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... =NAV_types