On the way to AM 3.7 : Issues and Requests

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

SimPassion

Re: On the way to AM 3.7 : Issues and Requests

#11 Post by SimPassion »

Hello Tony

I've extracted what I wrote in my previous post :

"…/...(not only using User Properties, as it's only on first run)"

"…/... after some enumeration is made while running"

So the enumeration would be performed only if the instrument is running

Gilles

Sling

#12 Post by Sling »

I don't understand Gilles.
So the enumeration would be performed only if the instrument is running
What does this actually mean in the AM context. You want to be able to do something only if the instrument is running but I don't understand what. You mentioned hardware in your previous post so thought you were asking for a way to configure hardware after the instrument had started. This is why I responded with my previous post asking why a user would want to do that.

SimPassion

#13 Post by SimPassion »

This is not the hardware properties to be set, but rather user data like name, date … what else the user want
doing this after an hardware enumeration have been perform live when the instrument is running : absolutely not related to any hardware property been set before the instrument is running
This is a mandatory situation : while instrument is running, any function is able to build an array or some sort of database and the user will be able to enter text data in input fields or through the console to complete additional fields of the database

It's why "User text inputs" using keyboard feature is requested

Gilles

[EDIT] clarification added

Sling

#14 Post by Sling »

OK that's a little different. Aren't we aiming to remove the mouse and keyboard from sim interactions though. I don't see why you need name and date for a sim. Perhaps an instructors station but not the sim itself. When there is input required in a cockpit it may be via a keyboard but that surely could be incorporated into an AM instrument as soft keys or if preferred an external hardware.

That said it may be useful for some users if the keyboard could be used for data entry in place of having to use a mouse to click individual letters/numbers on a simulated keypad such as FMS entry or the like.

Tony

SimPassion

#15 Post by SimPassion »

+1

This is exactly what you stated Tony

Gilles

Sling

#16 Post by Sling »

Well OK. But i'd like to make it clear I am not requesting this feature for myself.I just stated it may be useful for some.

I personally don't want to have to use a keyboard or mouse in the sim

Tony

SimPassion

#17 Post by SimPassion »

The use of keyboard should be useful on cockpit preparation and building but should be forgotten when running the sim itself while in flight, not really immersive !!! :)
The data entered via keyboard should be only available for displaying or for later use for the whole cockpit mapping overview

Gilles

Sling

#18 Post by Sling »

Gilles,

Sorry but i’m even further confused now as to what you asked for. I hope Corjan understands.

SimPassion

#19 Post by SimPassion »

I have just confirmed what you previously stated Tony, don't change anything in your mind, this is the perfect answer and what I really need
I need the keyboard entry when the instrument is running in AM Yes !!!, I never talk about the sim running, we are too busy with flying and for me I don't need the keyboard at this stage

Nothing more easy than this :
  1. Run the instrument in AM
  2. Use the keyboard while the instrument is running and ready, to enter additional data in entry fields
  3. Run the sim only if needed by the user at the moment he's using his AM install … or later if not needed now
Gilles

Sling

#20 Post by Sling »

Gilles,

Sorry but the more you write the more I am confused. You have now just introduced AM running standalone without a sim connection. Exactly where are we entering this text and what effect is the entered text having on the instrument.