Dynamic / "On the fly" change of targetted Board Model and Channel for hardware inputs assignment FEATURE REQUESTED

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

SimPassion

Re: Dynamic / "On the fly" change of targetted Board Model and Channel for hardware inputs assignment FEATURE REQUESTED

#21 Post by SimPassion »

Sling wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:49 am I’m sorry but I just don’t agree that it’s a pain to restart an instrument after changing assignments for hardware. It takes the click of the play button and it’s done. What could be easier than that.
This is because in the designed instrument I want to do it this way
And obviously such feature would be useful for many other situations than this and not just for me, it's just a matter of flexibility
Let the imagination of coders express by themselves

Gilles
Last edited by SimPassion on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimPassion

Re: Dynamic / "On the fly" change of targetted Board Model and Channel for hardware inputs assignment FEATURE REQUESTED

#22 Post by SimPassion »

Sling wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:49 am I’m sorry but I just don’t agree that it’s a pain to restart an instrument after changing assignments for hardware. It takes the click of the play button and it’s done. What could be easier than that.
As it's apparently not understood yet,

its' already working this way in my instrument :
Arduino_Checker_07.jpg

however I'm requesting for a new feature which will allow to perform it dynamically

Gilles

SimPassion

#23 Post by SimPassion »

Sling wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:40 am .../...
you can do them all in one go which would be much much quicker.
I want to do it one board at a time
this will not be a scanner/reporter building a list
but rather a visual tool with one board at a time

Gilles

SimPassion

#24 Post by SimPassion »

Going forward, I've checked the existing Hardware tab

the thing is that we get a callback delayed : only when the hardware input is switched to OFF in the AM UI hardware tab

INITIAL STATE
Arduino_Checker_08.jpg

INPUT D7 switched to ON
Arduino_Checker_09.jpg

INPUT D7 switched to OFF
Arduino_Checker_10.jpg

Gilles

SimPassion

#25 Post by SimPassion »

However this doesn't prevent me from building this new instrument/tool checker in AM
with full graphical and visual display
things would be rather fast and simpler with this visual way than reading a table/list filled with values

Gilles

Sling

#26 Post by Sling »

Gilles,

What you have here is not a hardware checker because it doesn’t actually check the hardware. It’s much much quicker just to check if the board is connected. All those individual io pins you have in the gui there don’t really prove anything is working other than AM and your code.The point being if your hardware is connected all what you will do with this instrument will automatically also work. The hardware connection test will be instant where as what you have here will take a while to complete and probably give a false sense to the user that the board is good when in fact the actual io has not been tested.

Just trying to save you some time. I made a similar instrument that checks my planned hardware connections both with the sim in the loop and without, but my version needs the hardware control activated to fully check everything is working.

Tony

SimPassion

#27 Post by SimPassion »

This is only one part of what the instrument will do

Gilles

Corjan

#28 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Thinking about the subject once more, there might be places in the AM GUI that can be improved.

I'm thinking of:

1) Combining pins of certain hardware objects. For example, configuring a rotary encoder only really requires the user to select the Board+Channel once, and then only configure the pins. The same is true for other objects, since the pins need to be on the same board anyways.

2) What Keith was saying, having additional options presented to the user. Stuff like rotary encoder type, or debounce setting. It might even be possible to make it so far that you can select character display type, not sure if that is possible.

3) Having a additional window in AM, where you can graphically couple all hardware objects from a panel to connected hardware.

Corjan

Keith Baxter

#29 Post by Keith Baxter »

Corjan wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:09 pm Hi,

Thinking about the subject once more, there might be places in the AM GUI that can be improved.

I'm thinking of:

1) Combining pins of certain hardware objects. For example, configuring a rotary encoder only really requires the user to select the Board+Channel once, and then only configure the pins. The same is true for other objects, since the pins need to be on the same board anyways.

2) What Keith was saying, having additional options presented to the user. Stuff like rotary encoder type, or debounce setting. It might even be possible to make it so far that you can select character display type, not sure if that is possible.

3) Having a additional window in AM, where you can graphically couple all hardware objects from a panel to connected hardware.

Corjan
Corjan,

That would be awesome.
So in effect one is binding the switch, encoder, diode, display etc to the board. Then when one wants to link the named hardware in the code, One chooses the switch, encoder, diode, display etc instead of the board pins.

That would make life so much easier for peep's that download hardware code from the store.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card