Weather and Terrain Radar in AM

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

JackZ

Re: Weather and Terrain Radar in AM

#11 Post by JackZ »

There is a freeware gauge that displays a radar image querying the ASN API. Worth a look
https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?C ... LID=189664

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Ralph

#12 Post by Ralph »

I rather not rely on a third party application if that isn't necessary. I much rather take the native route.

JackZ

#13 Post by JackZ »

Ralph I understand your point, but creating a usable and comprehensive weather radar display starting from scratch, from the somewhat limited raw data available in FSX/P3D is a completely different story. Wish you good luck on that. :shock:
As always, will support you if you manage to get something usable.

Jacques

Ralph

#14 Post by Ralph »

I guess we'll have to look at what others do with the available data. I rather not obligate people to buy another application for it to work. And we always try to stay as independent as possible, that's also one of the reasons we never chose FSUIPC for example.

JackZ

#15 Post by JackZ »

Sling

#16 Post by Sling »

jedeen wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:09 am Hey guys,

I have Active Sky for my FSX cockpit, but I am now a FSX refugee and seeking asylum at XP.
Regarding weather radar I have no data.
The developer of ActiveSky (hifisimtech.com) promised a version for XP but at this moment there is nothing.
Regarding terrain radar......this is what I got from Denis Antontsev (aka DrGluck) after I asked him where he did get the data from for the VSD
Those data should be obtained with: "XPLMProbeTerrainXYZ function. Or you can use some global terrain DB."
At this moment I did no further investigation.

Have fun
Jedeen
When I looked into displaying terrain information I also came up with the same answers as Derk. That means AM would have to provide API access to the Xplane SDK probe terrain function or provide a way of interfacing with a terrain database.

Tony

jedeen

#17 Post by jedeen »

Tony is right, regarding weather in FSX........
Regarding the terrain radar in XP.....there should be a DB somewhere in XP, for now I don't know where, or perhaps the GobalSceneryData??
Regarding the terrain radar in FSX ?????????????????????????????????????????nothing to report

Regarding the weather in XP, I found this:
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
JUST LET ME GET THE WEATHER-RADAR FROM X-PLANE: RADR
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Now: A UDP output from X-Plane to drive you own weather radar display… perhaps for your own moving map!

Send the follollowing data to X-Plane’s IP addres by UDP into port 49,000:

The 5 chars “RADR” (four chars plus a NULL at the end!) followed by a STRING (also null-terminated of course!) that lists the number of radar points per frame that you want X-Plane to send right back to you
to drive your visual system.
So send “RADR_10_”, where the _ is a null, to have X-Plane send you 10 radar data points per frame.

NOTE: X-Plane will send the message right back to the IP address and port number you sent the RADR command FROM!

This is in the settings menu, internet settings screen, right-most tab for data output.

And here is the data that will come to you, with no annoying struct-alignment issues: The data is all perfectly tightly packed with no spacing.

the four chars RADR and a NULL.
float lon longitude of the radar point
float lat latitude of course
float storm_level_0_100 precip level, 0 to 100
float storm_height_meters the storm tops in meters above sea level

So, this is very simple, and will let you drive your moving maps and external visuals, which is the most commonly used output from X-Plane!
Text is coming from docs in ....YOUR HD:\X-Plane 11\Instructions\X-Plane SPECS from Austin\Exchanging Data with X-Plane.rtfd
Have fun
Derk

jedeen

#18 Post by jedeen »

So next question :D

How do I make a UDP connection between AM and XP :?: :?: :?: :?:

Have fun
Derk

SimPassion

#19 Post by SimPassion »

Hello Derk

we can't do this,
it's only on AM/AP side with additional piece of code, not already there, to relay supplemental data extract from XP

Regards
Gilles

Keith Baxter

#20 Post by Keith Baxter »

These features,

Do they allow for winds aloft, echo tops, lightning alert etc?

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card