Data fetch indicator.

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Data fetch indicator.

#1 Post by Keith Baxter »

Looking for an option to display the state of the data fetched.

I want to be able to show a indicator in the guise of a small moving pie chart, or bar, that indicates the state of the data downloaded. Mainly to be used when data is fetched from open map etc.

If information is going to be fetched from map's, Navigraph, XM data etc. It is important for the pilot to know if all the data has been downloaded or there is a hangup.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Corjan

Re: Data fetch indicator.

#2 Post by Corjan »

Hi Keith,

I'm afraid this one is a bit to complicated to get going.

The actual downloading of the images is being done in a separate part of the code, and also in a different thread.
It would require quite some effort to make this happen.

I have put it on our internal TODO list, maybe there comes a day where I have some time left, but don't count on this happening any time soon.

Sorry!

Corjan

Keith Baxter

#3 Post by Keith Baxter »

Corjan wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:34 pm Hi Keith,

I'm afraid this one is a bit to complicated to get going.

The actual downloading of the images is being done in a separate part of the code, and also in a different thread.
It would require quite some effort to make this happen.

I have put it on our internal TODO list, maybe there comes a day where I have some time left, but don't count on this happening any time soon.

Sorry!

Corjan
Thank you for the response and putting it on the TODO list Corjan. Appreciated.

Can I also ask that this feature be added to the create/edit console at the same time. I am thinking that when we are creating instruments we get an indication of the resources the function is using.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Corjan

#4 Post by Corjan »

What kind of resources are you thinking of? Stuff like PNG, WAV, TTF used in the code?

Corjan

Keith Baxter

#5 Post by Keith Baxter »

Corjan wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:41 pm What kind of resources are you thinking of? Stuff like PNG, WAV, TTF used in the code?

Corjan
Corjan, yes. I was just thinking of an indicator that shows the impact of a process. Maybe it could be included in the viewer or another window.

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

I'm struggling to understand what benefit this is or even what purposes it serves. What do you mean by the impact of a process, and how is this displayed on an indicator.

Tony

Keith Baxter

#7 Post by Keith Baxter »

Sling wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:38 pm I'm struggling to understand what benefit this is or even what purposes it serves. What do you mean by the impact of a process, and how is this displayed on an indicator.

Tony
Tony,

Talking to the Create Edit, when testing an instrument, I want to know the impact the process has on the system.

So when I press a button I know the impact that that button press has, and how much (% or value) it is using.

if a button press, dial or other function is invoked, I can then either restrict the rate in which the function is called or in the case of the map restrict the ZL due to the map not loading fast enough.

It is like a tilt indicator on the old pin ball machines.

EDIT: Tony I am looking for the optimum data process. A plane flying over an urban area at ZL 19 at 300 knot produces some challenges to the instrument.

Talking to the display in an instrument. It is an indicator that the data has uploaded.

Keith

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

Keith Baxter wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:02 pm
Sling wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:38 pm I'm struggling to understand what benefit this is or even what purposes it serves. What do you mean by the impact of a process, and how is this displayed on an indicator.

Tony
Tony, as an example, when testing an instrument, I want to know the impact the process has on the system.

So when I press a button I know the impact that that button press has, and how much (% or value) it is using.
OK so I get a little more now of what you want but in the above statement what are you referring to as the system and what % or value Is it meant to be measuring. If you are talking about the performance or resources of the host computer then this is surely not functionality for AM.
I personally think you may be pushing the limits of the little old pi with your intended instrument. I think you might end up having to run it on something with more grunt.

Just my thoughts

Tony

Keith Baxter

#9 Post by Keith Baxter »

Sling wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:31 pm

OK so I get a little more now of what you want but in the above statement what are you referring to as the system and what % or value Is it meant to be measuring. If you are talking about the performance or resources of the host computer then this is surely not functionality for AM.
I personally think you may be pushing the limits of the little old pi with your intended instrument. I think you might end up having to run it on something with more grunt.
Tony I was not aware that the Pi did the processing and fetching of data. I thought it was done by AM and the computer. But yes, if that is the case then I would need to know to what extent the Pi is being pushed.
However, when I am testing an instrument without the Pi, i can still visually see a performance increase or drop and sometimes a crash when I attempt to fetch too much data. Like changing low ZL (2-4) with vor,ndb,fix and aipr all being fetched. I want to be able to see that.

Something along the lines of the Data output in XP that shows the FPS of the cpu & gpu, and if running on a Pi that cpu & gpu as well. In XP peep's use this tool to set their rendering to obtain optimum frame rates. I want to use something similar to see the effect the instrument process is having on AM and the Pi. And the computer if possible.

On another note. If I am hitting the wall on processor capabilities I can them make a decision to either buy a faster processor with more speed and cores or compromise my instrument functions.

Talking to the Pi, there are ways to increase it's performance. I will be adding cooling by means of a heat sink and fan as I have noticed the overheat indicator popping up from time to time.I beleve this causes the Pi to throttle the processing speed.

Corjan is the Pi using Python, C++, NEON or some other code ?

Keith

Keith Baxter

#10 Post by Keith Baxter »

Tony

You see what you have done with your "something with more grunt" comment. It has poked my inquisitiveness. :D

If I am hitting the wall using only one Pi. Would AM support something like this if needed on one licence? :lol:

https://youtu.be/xJvJvXeYCyI
https://youtu.be/i_r3z1jYHAc

Jokes aside, Is this an option. And will AM support more than the 4 cores?

https://makezine.com/projects/build-a-c ... i-cluster/

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... rComputer/

This is an interesting hardware idea worth watching.

https://youtu.be/KJKhRLKXr-Q

For me 8 Raspberry Pi with 32 core Is far cheaper than a new cpu and a new GTX1080TI with 11 core gpu.

Keith