AM4 and LCD Displays

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: AM4 and LCD Displays

#11 Post by jph »

Hi guys,
I haven't used them in AM, only with Arduino.
@Corjan from various datasheets it would appear the DD ram addressing is 'standard' as in 0x00 to 0x27 for top line (line 0) and 0x40 to 0x67 for the bottom line (line 1) so looks standard.

Out of interest Robin, what are you doing with the R/W pin ? - have you got it tied low for AM ? (0V)

Regarding the 'old gits' hey :o :o - I resemble that remark :lol:

Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

RobinB

#12 Post by RobinB »

@Corjan

Hi Corjan,

Thanks for the reply.

I have now solved the basic problem of no display which was due to a broken wire in one of the jumper leads ( the 16x2 plugs straight into my breadboard without jumpers, the 40x2 came with a 2 row 8 pin connector which is not breadboard friendly!). So I now have a working display. :D

Where your info is interesting is in the fact that the display will only show 32 chrs/line instead of 40. My Lua script builds a 40 chr string based on dataref feedback from X-plane and then sends the line to the display with a hw_display_set_text() call. The hardware tab in AM4 shows the correct full string of 40 but only the first 32 appear on the display. Which, as you say, suggests a memory glitch somewhere along the line……..

All I can find out about these displays is that they claim to be fully HD44780 compatible. Used connected to the Arduino IDE they do display a 40 character string correctly. The problem arises when connected to AM4 which is why I posted this here.

Thanks again for the interest.
Robin

jph

#13 Post by jph »

HI Robin,
Glad you got it sorted. What you are describing sounds very much like an AM issue. It is not a device issue by the looks of things. It would have an issue in Arduino if that was the case. Probably a limit set incorrectly within AM ? . Perhaps @Corjan can take a peek ?
Cheers
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.