AM Beta 44 Feedback

Discuss suspected bugs with other users and Sim Innovations Staff

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Sling

AM Beta 44 Feedback

#1 Post by Sling »

Some thoughts on the Beta 44 release.

Generally it's been good and I'm enjoying trying out the new features but I have these observations.

I got a beta 45 update notification and chose to install it but I can't get it to run. I get the Java error mentioned elsewhere in the forums. I've re-installed beta 44 and i'm running with that until the Java thing is fixed.

I had some timer related issues where the timer wouldn't run in Create/Edit until I opened another instrument and then re-opened the original one. It was a bit hit and miss and this didn't always solve it. I restarted AM and it seemed to be ok after the restart.

I noticed the debug console now displays your print() statements in reverse order from AM2.1.3. I've started to do something like this now to help identify the print data, print("variable name - " .. var)

Why can't the user properties be accessed in Create/Edit. It would be useful for testing.

Keep up the great work.

Corjan

Re: AM Beta 44 Feedback

#2 Post by Corjan »

Hi there,

There is an issue in the info.xml file inside the instrument folder.

If you have created a new instrument with a previous BETA, this info.xml file might contain a '&' sign (maybe in author, aircraft, description etc.).
BETA 45 cannot handle this, as it is an invalid XML formatting.
You might be able to manually scan the info.xml files of the instruments you have created and replace the '&' sign with '&'. After that the latest BETA 45 will probably work again.

Could you send me the instruments where you had the timer issues. I'd like to get to the bottom of that, since I have heard of these kind of weird timer issues before.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Corjan

Sling

#3 Post by Sling »

I checked the xml files and couldn't see anything wrong. I tried 45 again and still I get the Java error.

I un-installed AM and deleted the user folder (license file location).

So now I Download and install the full 45 setup file and still I get the Java error a few seconds after start as I'm trying to key in the activation info again. This was obviously with no instruments or panels setup.

I've reverted back to 44 for the time being.

The timer thing seems to have gone away now as it's all working as expected. If it comes back I'll be sure to capture the circumstances in more detail.

Tony

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

Although the title of this post is a little old now that we are at Beta 48 my issues posted here are still affecting me. I have tried the updater that pops up when AM is opened and I've tried a full clean install downloaded from the wiki but my Java error persists.

To repeat my issue.

Beta 44 runs just fine, but 45 and 48 both give the following error a few seconds after AM starts. (I didn't try 46 & 47)

'Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working.'

then message box has 2 options : - Check online for solution and close the program or Close the program

I also removed all my user settings/instruments etc so AM created a fresh set and this didn't change anything, which is why I don't think its related to the xml issue.

so stuck on 44 until a solution is forthcoming.

If there is any further info I can provide that will help resolve this just shout.

Corjan

#5 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

This is an issue that seems to be plaguing more people here on the forum.
Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce it on my computer.

Not sure if I have asked you before, but are you willing to do a debug session on your computer?
It would require me to logon on your computer using teamviewer and try to figure out what is causing the crash.

I'm guessing it would require around an hour.

Please let me know if you are up for that, and sorry for the inconvenience,

Corjan

JackZ

#6 Post by JackZ »

Java itself could it be the culprit?
I noticed that the newest version of Firefox as well as Chrome is no longer accepting Java applets to enforce the use of HTML4.0 I guess.

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

Hi

all I've seen for now and as Corjan stated, this will mainly rely on bad syntax in lua files and or xml files
there's seem to be a new strength in syntax detection that in bad case would made java to loop into, then conducting to a crash to desktop
so I've experiences the mandatory way to troubleshoot instrument once at a time

the way is at first to install AM3 clean without any instrument, none of owned, nor downloaded
then include one instrument, then troubleshoot (log.txt and Create/Edit tab messages) : if ok let it in place
go with next instrument one at a time

hope it could help

Best regards
Gilles

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

Gilles,

As I said in my post I very much doubt it's file related because it does it with a clean install without any files added.

I think I'm going to try this on some different machines. I'll post back results.

Corjan,

If this persists I'm not against doing a teamviewer session however I'd like to replicate the problem on a suitable machine first.

SimPassion

#9 Post by SimPassion »

Ok I've not get a clear reading
did you get an error registered in Windows Application event viewer ?

Best Regards
Gilles

Sling

#10 Post by Sling »

Yes,

javaw.exe is the faulting app and KERNEL.dll the faulting module.

I would post the log but it's a chore to get it from this machine as I don't have network/internet where this machine is currently.

As I said I aim to try it on another machine when I can.

It may not be important but I'm only running win7 as I converted to Mac several years back and only have older PC sw and hw.

Saying all that I will be building an up to date windows box at sometime just to run my sim.