AM 4.1 BETA 25 forces W10 shutdown unexpectedly after 1 min

Discuss suspected bugs with other users and Sim Innovations Staff

Moderators: russ, Ralph

JackZ

Re: AM 4.1 BETA 25 forces W10 shutdown unexpectedly after 1 min

#11 Post by JackZ »

This is definitely not a normal shutdown, more like if the plug has been pulled. The computer quits after 20 sec of letting AM Beta running, period. I have to turn on the computer again. Very weird.

As for the db, I renamed the whole AM beta folder as you instructed
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

jph

#12 Post by jph »

Hi,
Asudden complete shutdown such as this would make me consider hardware as 99% the probable issue. In fact I have never seen this happen due to software. Obviously there is a first time for everything though and the repeatability with the timing and AM on your system is concerning if it does come down to AM, then I would dearly like to know how this can happen as, in theory, it should not even be possible.
Is AM accessing some specific hardware function getting to 'Ring Zero' level?. Perhaps try Vulkan / OGL instead of direct X.?, or visa versa.
I can get a similar result in various programs if I use a crazy overclock on cpu, ram, fsb or gpu core clock or ram. I am sure that is not the case here though. @Corjan have you been able to recreate this?. Or indeed, can you envisage a situation where software could cause such a catastrophic system failure. ?
I would disable all other background programs as mentioned before and test then. Unless, of course, you have fixed the issue Jacques?
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Tetrachromat

#13 Post by Tetrachromat »

On my system it takes AM from start about 20 seconds to connect to devices like the Arduino.

Try to start up without the devices connected. Might be a short on a device that pulls down the PSU.

I have been running all the BETA's since May this year. Never had an issue like that.

Paul

jph

#14 Post by jph »

Tetrachromat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:37 pm On my system it takes AM from start about 20 seconds to connect to devices like the Arduino.

Try to start up without the devices connected. Might be a short on a device that pulls down the PSU.

I have been running all the BETA's since May this year. Never had an issue like that.

Paul
Hi paul, no power issue to an arduino via usb should ever be able to pull down a psu. The usb power rails are thermal fused and scp ocp way before main psu.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Tetrachromat

#15 Post by Tetrachromat »

Did I write about USB? I can't remember.

jph

#16 Post by jph »

Tetrachromat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:55 pm Did I write about USB? I can't remember.
Cute... but no cigar. :lol:
Obviously you have problems understanding what you wrote. How do you propose the Arduinos are connected in your hypothetical scenario? . If you are not referring to usb in your secret code then the issue you are dreaming of must be a magical connection to a psu that somehow affects the main pc psu. Incredible.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Corjan

#17 Post by Corjan »

Tetrachromat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:37 pm On my system it takes AM from start about 20 seconds to connect to devices like the Arduino.

Paul
Hi,

The 20 second think is build into the code, to prevent the Arduino staying in bootloader mode.
If you sent any serial data to the Arduino in the first couple of seconds after it is powered, it will stay in it's bootloader.

Corjan

jph

#18 Post by jph »

Corjan wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:49 pm Hi,

The 20 second think is build into the code, to prevent the Arduino staying in bootloader mode.
If you sent any serial data to the Arduino in the first couple of seconds after it is powered, it will stay in it's bootloader.

Corjan
Hi Corjan
Do you think 20 secs is a bit too much ? (in general - not specific here)
Possibly reduce to 3 to 5 seconds after comm available. I believe normally it is usually a DTR +1 or 2 then the BL is over.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Corjan

#19 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Just checked the code, and it is set to 12 secs. The other 8 secs are probably just AM booting up.
Read only that it can take up to 7 seconds, so 12 secs doesn't seem unreasonable.

Corjan

jph

#20 Post by jph »

Corjan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:16 am Hi,

Just checked the code, and it is set to 12 secs. The other 8 secs are probably just AM booting up.
Read only that it can take up to 7 seconds, so 12 secs doesn't seem unreasonable.

Corjan
Hi @Corjan , sounds reasonable at first glance. But can I please suggest that you try an option for 1 or 2 seconds max. (not Max Verstappen lol :) ) ... imho, there is absolutely no need for such long delays imho. I am thinking more of message-port and the crazy time between freeing the commport to use the Arduino IDE for modifications. I would be interested in where you get the delay from ? my understanding is that a set sequence is needed starting from DSR - data set ready which enters BL for as long as the cap on the appropriate line allows the BL initiation to be pulled down.
In theory, you should be able to allow comms initiation immediately (or certainly within a second or so) and also there should be no DTR sent at any time unless writing to the device for programming. The arduino does not connect in Bootloader mode. BL mode has to be initiated by the connected PC . Waiting 20 seconds in Message-port for freeing the port is soul destroying. Perhaps a setup option for 'quick connect' is called for. It would also be good to be able to free the commport WITHOUT shutting down AM to use the Arduino IDE as it is at the moment.
Cheers
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.