AM4 and D3D11 crash with Intel GPU

Discuss suspected bugs with other users and Sim Innovations Staff

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Roxus

AM4 and D3D11 crash with Intel GPU

#1 Post by Roxus »

upgraded from 3.7 to 4.0 and javaw.exe crashes in the D3D11.DLL when opening a panel or a single instrument in the Create/Edit

Was able to switch to my old SimPC which has a GTX1080 in it and AM4 worked fine (cost me a license transfer tho)
Fortunately, this PC means I dont need my AMplayer on Pi anymore, so thats a plus.

There are a couple of reports of Intel drivers crashing (or D3D crashing on Intel GPUs) so just adding a voice to the chorus that these GPU's dont like something youre doing (whether Intel is in the wrong , I dont know)

Ralph

Re: AM4 and D3D11 crash with Intel GPU

#2 Post by Ralph »

Which model number is the Intel GPU?

Roxus

#3 Post by Roxus »

Intel HD Graphics 3000 in a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

I think it only happens with the quite old 2000 and 3000 series. We'll talk about it on Friday and make a decision on what to do with it. Since it only seems to happen with the old models, the question is if it is worth it to investigate.

Roxus

#5 Post by Roxus »

I agree. Personally, I would just add a note for people that there are known issues with older Intel chipsets. As I said, just adding my voice to the note that there is something wrong with the drivers for these chips in case ppl are searching for this issue. Coz I only found it in AM4BETA

jph

#6 Post by jph »

Roxus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:43 pm I agree. Personally, I would just add a note for people that there are known issues with older Intel chipsets. As I said, just adding my voice to the note that there is something wrong with the drivers for these chips in case ppl are searching for this issue. Coz I only found it in AM4BETA
Hi,
As I said in the other thread - there is NOTHING 'wrong' with the drivers. They have been EOL / Obsolete for 6 years. They have not been amended or altered since 2015 which is quite normal for EOL products. They were never supported on win 10 and never supported on WIN8.1
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... ows-15-28-
It would be great if things work on them as they did in 3.7, but if V4 breaks that for compatibility with supported products then so be it. If a product does not work with an EOL / discontinued support item / driver etc then it is NOT - the 'fault' of the driver, the manufacturer, or the program writer. It is a fact of life.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#7 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:34 pm I think it only happens with the quite old 2000 and 3000 series. We'll talk about it on Friday and make a decision on what to do with it. Since it only seems to happen with the old models, the question is if it is worth it to investigate.
Hi Ralph,
Although it would be nice to have it working, if it is an easy fix, then ok - great !.
However, as I have said in various posts, these units have been EOL and totally obsolete since 2015 - and EVEN before as far as driver v OS v development tools are concerned. The drivers were never supported on Win 8.1 or later.
Given the constraints you are under for time and development and improvements / fixes, I cannot see this as any form of priority. IF you spend time and actually work around something, then it may well happen again with the next update to any of the component parts of the OS/ Drivers / Abstractions etc.
Just my thoughts of course.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Roxus

#8 Post by Roxus »

jph wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:11 am As I said in the other thread - there is NOTHING 'wrong' with the drivers. They have been EOL / Obsolete for 6 years. They have not been amended or altered since 2015 which is quite normal for EOL products. They were never supported on win 10 and never supported on WIN8.1
Im still on Windows7 on that laptop.

jph

#9 Post by jph »

Roxus wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:13 pm
jph wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:11 am As I said in the other thread - there is NOTHING 'wrong' with the drivers. They have been EOL / Obsolete for 6 years. They have not been amended or altered since 2015 which is quite normal for EOL products. They were never supported on win 10 and never supported on WIN8.1
Im still on Windows7 on that laptop.
HI Roxus,
The driver is still written for DX10.1 though. Not DX11.

Hence, unfortunately, your system does not fulfil the minimum requirements (in respect of DX11)
Microsoft Windows 7 (with service pack 2) or up (64 bit only)
CPU: 1 GHz or faster
Memory: 2GB or more
Video card: Supports OpenGL 2.0 or higher, or supports DirectX 11 or higher
Joe. CISSP, MSc.