Beta bootloader.exe file disappeared??

Discuss suspected bugs with other users and Sim Innovations Staff

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Beta bootloader.exe file disappeared??

#1 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

SI guys, Have you disabled the beta?? My bootloader file disappeared??

Keith
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

Re: Beta Boot-loader file disappeared??

#2 Post by Ralph »

That's your virusscanner, not us. Like I said on Discord ;)

Keith Baxter

Re: Beta bootloader.exe file disappeared??

#3 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ralph wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:03 pm That's your virusscanner, not us. Like I said on Discord ;)
Thanks Ralph

Will check the AV

Keith
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Mon May 31, 2021 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

Re: Beta Boot-loader file disappeared??

#4 Post by Ralph »

You can download the beta from our wiki, it will give you back the bootloader. Until it's removed again.

Keith Baxter

Re: Beta bootloader.exe file disappeared?

#5 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ralph,

Found the bootloader.exe in quarantine. So it was the AVG.

Reinstated it now I get.
ice_screenshot_20210531-233614.png
ice_screenshot_20210531-234102.png
ice_screenshot_20210531-234102.png (9.4 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
I suppose I will have to reinstall.

How do i stop this from happening? I have AM as an exception in my AV.

After reinstall the next time I run the bootloader.exe it disappears into QT

ice_screenshot_20210601-002730.png

It is a false positive I assume. I have updated Java and AVG and put the bootloader.exe into exceptions. Hopefully I don't get a virus. :)

Keith

jph

#6 Post by jph »

Hi Keith, report it to AVG as a DEFINITE FP, or ........ find a better AV. ;)
Install Avast - as much at it is a bit of a pig, and then disable the crappy 'shields' as per the image -
avast.jpg

After that, run a standard scan every week or so - with 'what to do' with anything it think it finds set to MANUAL - ASK ! -
I prefer to run a VM to check any 'suspicious' files ( I always have VMware running anyway - unless using the sim) - or/AND use virustotal.com at the slightest hint.
Those 'shields'' are a pain in the wotzit :(
I would, and do, often turn off the 'behaviour' shield as well. - however, the bloody good, but annoying defender then complains of no 'AV' installed and then starts running it's own crappy 'delete PUP and FP crap' - WITHOUT informing you !!!!!!!! - which is utter bollox. The only way is to run a standard AV - on YOUR timescale and get rid of all the 'shield' crap. You can lose LOAD of work with that enabled - anf for nothing, and without being informed. Pah - Humbug.

Ensure you have a great backup system and Robert is your Auntie's Brother.

If in any doubt, use trend housecall from time to time. ALWAYS use a proper FULL boot time virus scan before a backup -including housecall - - note - a real virus scan is NOT the same as the AV 'shield / file runtime crap that tries to run all the time.

I would preferably use the built in win defender - BUT - it insists on re-enabling the utterly shitty and ignorant 'file scan' option a short time after you tell it not to run the stupid thing. Sheesh.. :? :
;) Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#7 Post by Keith Baxter »

Joe,

Yes I have reported it.

The exception seems to be holding up.
Strange it just happened on the 31st May after all these years.

Keith

jph

#8 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:54 pm Joe,

Yes I have reported it.

The exception seems to be holding up.
Strange it just happened on the 31st May after all these years.

Keith
Strange things happened to me on the 31st May after all these years... :lol: - but that is daily occurrence now
But, I put that down to old age and poverty.
In fact, soon I am in no doubt that even stranger things will happen as I get a year older.... Damn this bloody time thing ! :
There is so much unneeded crap in these later so called 'AV' packages that they shouldn't be anywhere near a PC. They are, in many many cases, in effect MALWARE in their own right :?
Since 'brain' in 1985 or 86 ? or thereabouts, I have NEVER had a virus, malware, trojan etc on any PC I own. It is not down to luck.
You can still, as you have seen, get issues when even MS cannot get the virus protection correct for things developed with it's own tools.

Anyway, I digress haha :)

Glad it seems ok now brother. ;)
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.