AM Not Detecting the Position Until an Update

Discuss suspected bugs with other users and Sim Innovations Staff

Moderators: russ, Ralph

JackZ

Re: AM Not Detecting the Position Until an Update

#11 Post by JackZ »

I think for this it should be an LCD screen. Guess that a TFT screen hooked to a Raspi or even a TFT with an Arduino (but with some tinkering with Message port) would do, as the fps is not an issue in this case
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Ralph

#12 Post by Ralph »

I'm okay with the current font :)

BradyBrother100

#13 Post by BradyBrother100 »

Hi, the initialization section is still getting ignored until I flick the battery On then Off. Do you know why that is?

Thanks for finding the new font! I will be sure to use that when I get my screen. Speaking of screens, how would I connect and LCD screen to an Arduino Mega?

Thanks!
Brady

Keith Baxter

#14 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

Love the screens question.

dancei.gif
dancei.gif (64.22 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Sling

#15 Post by Sling »

BradyBrother100 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:38 pm Hi, the initialization section is still getting ignored until I flick the battery On then Off. Do you know why that is?

Thanks for finding the new font! I will be sure to use that when I get my screen. Speaking of screens, how would I connect and LCD screen to an Arduino Mega?

Thanks!
Brady
I tried to help you do this in the other thread where you posted the same query.. Ignore it if you wish.

BradyBrother100

#16 Post by BradyBrother100 »

Well, I found a really dumb solution but it works. I subscribed to a random dataref that is constantly changing,(like every millisecond) and made that an "updater." In my case it is "sim/private/stats/ogl/swap_time_total" I then made a function so that when that value is changed, which it is always doing, the battery callback is requested. And wah-la, it worked! Now I just need to incorporate JackZ's font and I'll be good to go! Thank you JackZ for telling me about the request_callback command!

Code: Select all

function updater()
request_callback(battery)
end

JackZ

#17 Post by JackZ »

Sling wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:29 am
BradyBrother100 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:38 pm Hi, the initialization section is still getting ignored until I flick the battery On then Off. Do you know why that is?

Thanks!
Brady
I tried to help you do this in the other thread where you posted the same query.. Ignore it if you wish.
Don’t worry Tony, everybody still love you here ;)

JackZ

#18 Post by JackZ »

Thanks!
Brady
@BradyBrother100 I don’t know, my latest code works well with the Zibo.
If you are using a hardware switch, that’s another layer of complexity

For the screen.
You’ll have to go to the Message Port way and use specific libraries in order to use a 3.5 inches TFT like this one:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2050
Be warned that lots of cheap ILI9341 LCD screen found on the Net are NOT working with a Mega, as they need 3.3V instead of 5V.

In any case, some Arduino programming knowledge would be required. And the font usage is a whole different story when using Adafruit GFX Library. Your mileage may vary. I have not tried it myself, but considering the fact that I encountered multiple similar problems while using smaller 0.96” Oleds screen with the same Adafruit library, I can tell I speak from experience...

So Yes, using a 3.5” TFT screen with a Mega is doable, but some tinkering is required to make it work with AM. The screen size is around 8x5 cms, I don’t know if that’s enough for your application For bigger sizes, you’ll probably have to go to a Raspberry Pu and an HDMI screen

Jacques
Last edited by JackZ on Mon May 24, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jph

#19 Post by jph »

This looks interesting - 8 bit interface - support AF library..
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... 6062%23610
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#20 Post by jph »

Also, some REALLY nice looking PICO boards coming along. ;) may be a game changer.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... hweb201603_
3-5inch-LCD-Touch-screen-for-Raspberry-Pi-Pico-3-5-inch-Display-TouchScreen-Module-65K.jpg_Q90.jpg

#SHOULD~ work with AF lib...... cannot see why not. You can solder a through header to the pico if needed, however, it is probably better in this case to simply use the pico as dedicated as they are so cheap.
Joe.

Also, some really nice PICO expansion boards coming along at around 10 dollars - and price will drop. PICO may be THE thing very soon.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.