Knobster Highlight Weirdness

Discuss suspected bugs with other users and Sim Innovations Staff

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Sling

Knobster Highlight Weirdness

#1 Post by Sling »

A couple of issues to report. They are kind of related.

If a Knobster control such as a dial is selected and another AM instrument is put over the top of it with a show/hide type feature using visible the knobster highlight from the previously selected instrument shows through even though the instrument is covered.

If a simple 2 way switch is placed under a graphic which again can be set to show or hide with a co-located button, when the button is touched to remove the graphic (think switch guard or similar) rather than do the button callback the switch underneath the graphic activates the yellow knobster highlight. This is made weird by the fact that a 2 way switch by default does not attract knobster focus unless its been set specifically to do so from within the script. In this case it has not so why is the highlight even showing at all. Perhaps its the presence of the co-located button that is confusing matters.

I have hacky workarounds for both of these but they are long winded and will no doubt be a pain to come back and troubleshoot at a later date if required because of their hacky nature.

Can these knobster operation issues be fixed please?

Tony

Ralph

Re: Knobster Highlight Weirdness

#2 Post by Ralph »

Can you make an example instrument in a .siff for us to test?

Sling

#3 Post by Sling »

Sure. I’ll get to it over the weekend most likely.

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

As promised. Here is a test instrument showing the issue mentioned. Hopefully you can make some improvements.

NA - Knobster Issues.siff
(8.93 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

Sling

#5 Post by Sling »

Guys,

Any update on this?

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

I see the highlighting with an image on top, it's arguable if that's correct behavior.

I also see what you said with a switch beneath a button, strange. We'll investigate.

Sling

#7 Post by Sling »

I think for the highlighting with an image on top I cannot think of a reason why you would want a knobster focus highlight to continue showing while another instrument or graphic has been enabled over the top of it. You can see the associated dial or switch because its also covered so why should the knobster highlight not also be hidden. If you don't want to change this existing behaviour perhaps one of these alternate solutions might be considered.

- Add a new callback to the dial and switch add functions that would be called whenever that dial or switch has just been given knobster focus. This would give us the opportunity to call the actual dial/switch/co-located button callback upon being given knobster focus. This would mean we could take the knobster focus from the offending highlight and enable the popup with a single touch or click.

- Add a knobster_focus_reset() function that would give us the ability to reset the knobster selection to no focus. We could then call this in the popup button callback.

These alternate solutions are acceptable i think but having the highlight return to where you last left it prior to the popup blocking its use temporarily would be the best solution in my opinion.

I know you are on short final for 04 so not for one minute am i suggesting this for the upcoming release but please consider it for a beta after the release.

Tony
Last edited by Sling on Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

Our objection against hiding the selection behind an instrument, is that at that moment you have no clue what's selected. So when you would start turning the dial, you will be controlling a possibly unknown dial or whatever.
We're also not really keen on adding more API functions for this.

My suggestion for the switch beneath a button is to make the switch invisible when your guard is closed, then make it visible when the guard is open.

Sling

#9 Post by Sling »

The switch thing i have a work around for similar to what you say its just the knobster highlight that is my problem. I'm sorry but i don't agree with
at that moment you have no clue what's selected
I think most of us would remember more times than not what was previously selected. So to think you would have no clue is way too strong. You would have a very good clue in fact. If you are still not convinced then just temporarily disable the knobster focus while the highlight is hidden. That way you can't change something accidently. If a new visible dial is touched the knobster would then need to work as normal again.

This spoils the way the panel looks and how its meant to function. I can't now activate the popped up switch.
image.png
image.png (30.01 KiB) Viewed 2967 times

I really hope you re-consider.

Tony