King HSI

Discuss suspected bugs with other users and Sim Innovations Staff

Moderators: russ, Ralph

captainronno

King HSI

#1 Post by captainronno »

Using the paid BE58 panel with LR's BE58 in Xplane, I noticed when I shut down the left engine that the vacuum drop causes the HSI to throw a heading flag. Of course, the right engine should supply enough vacuum to still run all instruments, and this is a LR problem, but the King HSI is a DC instrument, so it shouldn't respond to vac changes.

I tried switching to the J.Zahar version of the KI525A, which is great, and it is appropriately tied to dc power, but that one improperly shows centered glideslope needles at all times instead of only appearing when a glideslope is detected.

I'm glad to edit the free version myself (lines 185-188), but I need help :D
Aaron

JackZ

Re: King HSI

#2 Post by JackZ »

Hi
Since I’m the author of the HSI, I’d better have a look at the bug you mentioned.
Strange though nobody ever mentioned it. It’s been a long time I did this instrument, and I don’t recall having this problem.

Will check

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

captainronno

#3 Post by captainronno »

Thanks! I just re-checked.. in-flight shutdown of left (not the right) engine causes "HDG" flag to appear.

JackZ

#4 Post by JackZ »

Hi.

I rechecked my Bendix King KI 525A HSI instrument from the store, and as I suspected, since it is not related to any Vacuum pressure (it's an electrical instrument, connected to the Bus), there is no way it can be affected by a vacuum pump failure of any engine. The failure mode that makes the HDG flag to appear is tied to the Bus Voltage, namely if the Bus voltage drops below 10 volts the flag appears.
I didn't find neither the GS needle appearing all the time as you mentioned.
image.png
Just to be sure, I checked also the KCS 55A HSI McnFly version which is incorrectly tied to vacuum, and you're right, this one uses only vacuum Dataref from number 1 engine for failure, as seen from this piece of code.So when the left engine is failed in flight, the HDG flag appears.

Code: Select all

"sim/cockpit2/gauges/indicators/suction_1_ratio", "FLOAT", PT_hsi)
Strangely enough, since the electrical gyro hdg value is used for heading, the HSI heading is still properly indicated, even with one engine off!

Code: Select all

"sim/cockpit/gyros/psi_ind_elec_pilot_degm", "FLOAT",
So I suggest you use my version instead, make sure that you downloaded the latest version (v1.18) from the Store, and it should be OK.

Jacques

captainronno

#5 Post by captainronno »

We're in agreement; the vacuum problem I was seeing was with the paid Baron HSI, which I assume was the McnFly version. I'll load your version again and see if I'm still seeing the GS issue. Thanks for looking into this!
Aaron

captainronno

#6 Post by captainronno »

So weird; JK on the left, paid BE58 on the right (which I assume is McnFly). When tuned to a VOR, the JK shows a GS CDI right in the middle, though it should not be present. Strange thing is, when tracking a GPS course, the GS CDI goes away. I should mention that it does work properly on an ILS or LPV. I've looked at the code, can't figure out why it would be different readings for GPS and VLOC input. Dying to know why. ???????

Aaron

Sling

#7 Post by Sling »

I suspect this behaviour is because the sim data is not updated correctly. I have seen this when developing my own CDI’s and HSI’s. It’s not exactly the fault of the AM instrument because it’s relies on the accuracy of the sim data. It can be made to work correctly by looking at multiple data sources but it takes a bit of fiddling to locate the right data. I can’t remember where I got to when I played with this but I will have to revisit it at some point.

Tony

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

Sounds like you're using RealityXP.
RealityXP does not always write the correct data to the sim. Like Tony said, Air Manager is only displaying what the simulator tells it to display.

JackZ

#9 Post by JackZ »

captainronno wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:10 am Image

So weird; JK on the left, paid BE58 on the right (which I assume is McnFly). When tuned to a VOR, the JK shows a GS CDI right in the middle, though it should not be present. Strange thing is, when tracking a GPS course, the GS CDI goes away. I should mention that it does work properly on an ILS or LPV. I've looked at the code, can't figure out why it would be different readings for GPS and VLOC input. Dying to know why. ???????

Aaron
Idk what you are referring to by JK, but I guess it’s my instrument.

In order for me to be able to try to replicate the bug, you should give your exact configuration:
XPlane version, Is it the B58 Stock, what location/airport and VOR you are tuning to. And confirm you are not using RealityXP as Ralph suggested

I have not enough information to try to investigate the bug at the moment. What I recall is when I developed this HSI, I didn’t have XPlane for extensive testing, (I developed mainly for FSX initially) so the list of Dataref I used might be slightly wrong.

Jacques

captainronno

#10 Post by captainronno »

I'll see if I can get a video together and explain what I'm seeing.