Garmin G5 Auto-slew

Discuss suspected bugs with other users and Sim Innovations Staff

Moderators: russ, Ralph

captainronno

Garmin G5 Auto-slew

#1 Post by captainronno »

The G5 is fantastic. I have quite a few hours in front of the real thing (paired with an Avidyne IFD540(if only someone would make an IFD plugin for xplane!!!!!!!)); creating a panel with dual G5s and no analog gauges is excellent training for pilots who revert naturally to using a six-pack instead of tape gauges (I call it the tape-trainer).

But, when I use it with the xplane GNS530, a new course will not auto-slew on the G5 HSI. I know this works on the RXP GTN750, and I know the same is true for the real-world IFD540...I believe this should work the same with a GNS530. Actually adjusting the HSI to a new course is a bit tedious on a G5. I might be mistaken. Am I missing something?

Aaron

Ralph

Re: Garmin G5 Auto-slew

#2 Post by Ralph »

I don't think that this is a function of the G5, I can't find anything. The only thing I could find is that it auto-slews when you switch from GPS to VLOC. I think I can do that.

However, it seems that auto-slew is part of the GFC500 autopilot. So it would have to be integrated into the (free) autopilot instrument.

Sling

#3 Post by Sling »

The auto slew as you call it is a function of the Navigator not the HSI (G5) or the autopilot. There is generally a setting in the Navigator to enable/disable this feature.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

I think you're right. I can't find anything for the GFC500 as well, only for the VLOC as mentioned before.

Maybe a dedicated auto-slew instrument is a nice addition.

captainronno

#5 Post by captainronno »

Sling wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:07 am The auto slew as you call it is a function of the Navigator not the HSI (G5) or the autopilot. There is generally a setting in the Navigator to enable/disable this feature.
I agree, and the RXP GTN has that setting. I'm just wondering if the Xplane gns530 has a "course out" when in GPS CDI that the G5 can detect. I still believe that would mimic real world behavior.

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

The X-Plane GNS doesn't have that feature I think. But I'm also not 100% if auto-slew is a feature on the real GNS...
As I said, you might be able to make it yourself, it the required data from X-Plane is available to do it.

captainronno

#7 Post by captainronno »

Thanks, guys. I'll continue to look into this.

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

My GNS memory is fading but I think it can do this if I recall. A quick check of the manuals should confirm.

brianbarr

#9 Post by brianbarr »

AFAIK, in a real airplane - autoslew in a EHSI is a result of the desired course that is transmitted from the GPS or FMS to the EHSI via ARINC 429.

I have a dual G5 setup in my "real" Marchetti SF-260 fed by a GTN650 and autoslew works very nicely.

Some time ago garmin added an autoslew software hack to the G5 that moves the course needle when switching from GPS to VLOC.

"Changes made from version 2.70 to 3.00:
Added auto-slew support to sync VLOC course when switching from GPS to VLOC"

Ralph

#10 Post by Ralph »

Yes that (the VLOC sync) is what I'll add to the next update, should be easy. I'll need to fix the GS and GP annunciations first...