V2.1.3 and 3.0 installations

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

shadyowl2

V2.1.3 and 3.0 installations

#1 Post by shadyowl2 »

I would like to have both versions installed so Is it possible to have air manager 2.1.3 and the new 3.0 installed on the same computer without it overwriting the previous version files?
OORAH!!!! Its a Marine Thing....USMC retired

Corjan

Re: V2.1.3 and 3.0 installations

#2 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

I'm afraid that is not possible natively.
You could make your 'C:\Users\<user_name>\Air Manager' folder into a symbolic link and two folders for 2.1.3 and 3.0, and change that before starting Air Manager. But it is a bit hacky.

Sorry,

Corjan

shadyowl2

#3 Post by shadyowl2 »

Thanks for the info. Can i ask why it is not possible natively since they are different versions? The reason for why I would like both is to try the new version without causing problems with the old.

Corjan

#4 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

It is a choice I guess, we see AM 3.0 as an improvement to 2.1.3 (not a separate program) and would like people to move on from AM 2.1.3.
Also from a technical standpoint, having to deal with only one user folder is easier. Specially while updating configuration from 2.1.3 -> 3.0.

But I agree, there is also something to be said for running both versions simultaneously,

Corjan

shadyowl2

#5 Post by shadyowl2 »

I understand it is suposed to be an improvement but with that said, some of us would like to have different installs to make sure it is what we want to go with. I think I will just stay with 2.1.3

bobl51

#6 Post by bobl51 »

I'd like to have both installations available -- because I cannot use the G530 bezel with Am3.0. Currently, with the beta 3.0, I run both installations concurrently. I have everything except the radio stack in 3.0, but I created a radio stack specifically just for AM2.13 so I can overlay the G530 bezel on top of the Xplane 11 G530 pop-out GPS navigator.

Can I run 2 copies of AM3.0 concurrently?

If Xplane 11 had a rotary knob function that works on a touchscreen like AirManager's, I would do that instead.

tsilikas

#7 Post by tsilikas »

I wish i had read this thread before purchasing v3.

I downloaded v3 and all my panels in v2.1.3 disappeared. This is distressing because I put quite a bit of work to make things work. Also, some of the instruments were based of A2A Texan which are not available anymore. I uninstalled v3 and restored airmanager windows folder to previous version, but the issue remains. Are panels/instruments saved anywhere else in ?

I already sent an email but I posted this so that other users are aware of this issue. I was expecting to transition smoothly to v3. I hope this will be the case.

Thank you,
Panos

JackZ

#8 Post by JackZ »

Mmmm.....
At least, a text message advising to save PLUS an option to save/rename the 2.1.3 folder beforehand in the v3.0 installation process seems to be advisable to avoid this recurring problem from users transitioning from 2.1.3 to 3.0.

I understand that also means there is no way to have both versions running at the same time? Weird, as it was possible with the Betas.

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Corjan

#9 Post by Corjan »

Hey,

Sorry about the trouble. We have fixed the AM 2.x -> AM 3.x import in the latest BETA.
http://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.ph ... sktop_BETA

I will create a way to run AM2 and AM3 at the same time tomorrow, since it seems that allot of people would like this feature.

Corjan

Corjan

#10 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

The newest BETA 8 now has a way to set a custom configuration path.

That way you can leave AM2 at "C:\Users\<username\Air Manager" and AM3 to some custom location.
You can set a custom configuration path by opening the Air Manager shortcut on the desktop and changing the Target field:

"C:\Program Files\Air Manager BETA\Bootloader.exe"

to:
"C:\Program Files\Air Manager BETA\Bootloader.exe" -a "-config_path <your_custom_path>"

You might also want to rename the shortcut, since the next update might override it again.

Hope this helps,

Corjan