INFO XML File (info.xml) tips

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

SimPassion

INFO XML File (info.xml) tips

#1 Post by SimPassion »

Hi

in case it could be useful to anyone

having some trouble on AM3 starting, I've done some check after Ralph pointed out on possibly instruments files corruption, many thanks for it

while checking file I've made some testing not related to my issue (solved)

the new version of AM3 is now creating info.xml this way and without line feed (seen also that <description> tag is fixed)
take in mind to don't use the ampersand "&", inside information, which is not suitable when Instrument Scanner process start on load

sample 1

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><pluginstrument><aircraft>info xml check</aircraft><type>file</type><uuid>d9b868da-b9fc-49fa-164c-7374a22c9359</uuid><author>test and tips</author><description></description><compatibleFSX>true</compatibleFSX><compatibleP3D>true</compatibleP3D><compatibleXPL>true</compatibleXPL><version>1</version><configVersion>1</configVersion><pluginInterfaceVersion>100</pluginInterfaceVersion><prefWidth>512</prefWidth><prefHeight>512</prefHeight></pluginstrument>

sample 2

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><pluginstrument><aircraft>info xml check with desc</aircraft><type>file</type><uuid>1ef59905-f3f8-4228-b705-97932160402b</uuid><author>test</author><description>Desc Lines
Line 2</description><compatibleFSX>true</compatibleFSX><compatibleP3D>true</compatibleP3D><compatibleXPL>true</compatibleXPL><version>1</version><configVersion>1</configVersion><pluginInterfaceVersion>100</pluginInterfaceVersion><prefWidth>512</prefWidth><prefHeight>512</prefHeight></pluginstrument
which can be read as these :

sample 1

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<pluginstrument>
		<aircraft>info xml check</aircraft>
		<type>file</type>
		<uuid>d9b868da-b9fc-49fa-164c-7374a22c9359</uuid>
		<author>test and tips</author>
		<description></description>
		<compatibleFSX>true</compatibleFSX>
		<compatibleP3D>true</compatibleP3D>
		<compatibleXPL>true</compatibleXPL>
		<version>1</version>
		<configVersion>1</configVersion>
		<pluginInterfaceVersion>100</pluginInterfaceVersion>
		<prefWidth>512</prefWidth>
		<prefHeight>512</prefHeight>
</pluginstrument>
sample 2

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<pluginstrument>
		<aircraft>info xml check with desc</aircraft>
		<type>file</type>
		<uuid>1ef59905-f3f8-4228-b705-97932160402b</uuid>
		<author>test</author>
		<description>Desc Lines
Line 2</description>
		<compatibleFSX>true</compatibleFSX>
		<compatibleP3D>true</compatibleP3D>
		<compatibleXPL>true</compatibleXPL>
		<version>1</version>
		<configVersion>1</configVersion>
		<pluginInterfaceVersion>100</pluginInterfaceVersion>
		<prefWidth>512</prefWidth>
		<prefHeight>512</prefHeight>
</pluginstrument>
Best Regards
Gilles

Corjan

Re: INFO XML File (info.xml) tips

#2 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

First off, thanks for going the extra mile and figuring out what is going wrong!

As you might have noticed, I have changed XML library. This is because the latest one failed to create the necessary escape sequences like the one for the '&' sign.
Downside to this new library though, is that it does not have an option to align the XML in a human readable manner.

I looked at the code, at this library rejects any XML having raw '&' in it's payload, which is completely true and good. Unfortunately, this error was not handled correctly, and the plugin was still being added internally. This is fixed, AM will not reject the complete plugin and throw an error to the log file.
I'm guessing this is what is causing some of the AM crashes with the latest BETA, although I couldn't reproduce this.

Instruments created in AM 3.0 BETA 43 and before will have the corrupted XML file. These will have to be recreated in the latest BETA (44 and up) unfortunately.

Corjan