EGT, TAS and Clock don't replicate in Air Manager 4.0 on Cessna 172 Panel

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Sling

Re: EGT, TAS and Clock don't replicate in Air Manager 4.0 on Cessna 172 Panel

#11 Post by Sling »

Ok I see. Thanks for the extra info. This takes me back a bit to when I did my C172 panel. Let me address each one on its own.

Clock
I addressed this very issue quite a while back now and show a side by side comparison of the sim and improved version on my YouTube channel linked below. The history of this is the clock has been around in AM for a long time and hasn’t really had any improvement in this area. It is still limited by what data the sim provides but could be improved. As with the other 2 gauges as well if the sim does not expose the data then the AM gauge cannot act upon it.

EGT
There are 2 issues here. The first is the sim does not expose the adjustable needle’s position AFAIK so this will be as you have found standalone. The second issue is with the actual EGT needle scaling. This kept changing in the sim so the guys decided to add an EGT user property to the instrument. Play around with the value of that property and you should get the EGT to read correctly.

TAS disc
A similar story here. This instrument was produced when the TAS disc position was not made available externally to the sim. I believe it is now so this gauge could be updated.

With all that said I wonder if having them match is vitally important after all are you flying with sim gauges or AM gauges. Personally I hide the in sim instruments from view so in this case it would be just fine. It’s good when everything matches but it’s not imperative. If you strive for perfection as I do however I can see this as an annoyance. If that’s the case we can help you to get these better and refresh the online versions so this hopefully doesn’t crop up again.

Ralph

#12 Post by Ralph »

In the premium panel you can link all of these to the sim. But since neither of these settings have any influence on the behavior of the aircraft in the simulator, we don't bother for the free panel.

richardschreier

#13 Post by richardschreier »

Thanks Ralph and Sling,

I hide the SIM instruments as well, I have built my own panel and use AM to display the instruments behind my custom panel with 3d printed bezels and my own wired controls (encoders and switches). Everything works fine in AM except the display of these three. I am happy to buy the premium panel if that solves the problem so will go do that now and get you an update.

Thanks all for your help.

I see 3 premium 172 Panels available to buy, is there a "best" one for my purposes?

richardschreier

#14 Post by richardschreier »

Sadly that was a waste of 10 EUROs and time, the premium panel works a little bit better, no change in the behaviour of the clock, the TAS now will change when the dial is turned but the position of the setting is different than in-sim and no change with the EGT..... sigh

Ralph

#15 Post by Ralph »

As I said, I'm not really sure why you are so concerned with the simulator showing the same. The EGT reference needle is just for reference, it has no influence on the EGT itself, the TAS is just for reference as well. The clock shows the same information, it's just not in sync, but again, that does not change anything to the behavior of the aircraft.

Aside from this, in the premium panel all these instruments can be set to stay in sync with the simulator, if you really want to. But again, it won't have any effect on flying.

JackZ

#16 Post by JackZ »

Just for my information: do you REALLY use the Max EGT needle in your sim?
Do you really get the purpose of it? Are you leaning properly your engine properly in your sim every flight?

Many EGT gauges IRL don’t even bother to have this supplemental needle that has to be manually set. This is just an added convenience made to help set the EGT limit when trying to set the Peak EGT of the engine, then once found to set the mixture to either ROP or LOP depending on users preference.

Once the proper EGT setting is found, the needle is manually set to whatever position the EGT needle currently is, so that next time one wants to lean the engine, one can go straight to the same EGT setting and save time.
The actual « LOP/ROP EGT » needle position has no effect whatsoever on the Engine, it is simply an equivalent of a speed bug.

Back in FSX days this convenience was built in the gauge, no variable existed to operate it. Same for XPlane.
Might have changed in XPlane since.
Makes sense since this is an optional feature that has no effect on the value itself.
Same logic applies for the TAS/IAS conversion scale that doesn’t exist on all airspeed gauges. The scale has absolutely no effect on the actual needle position.

If no variables or commands are available to act upon in the sim,
There is no way to modify the sim MAX EGT needle in Air Manager, nor to retrieve the current sim MAX EGT needle position and move the AM needle in sync.

The fault lies with the sim, not the gauge developers.
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Ralph

#17 Post by Ralph »

It is writeable, with a dataref, the same counts for the KIAS/TAS. But like you said, they have no influence on the aircraft. It's just for visual references.

richardschreier

#18 Post by richardschreier »

Thanks for all your comments, the issue for me has nothing to do with the "flyability" of the SIM, I have a PPL licence and fully realize the gauges i must have to fly and those that are supplemental. My only issue is that what I see in the SIM is different than what I see in AM and so changes that get reflected in the SIM are never seen in AM. I don't really need them for "flying" but wanted to make sure I had not screwed up the implementation somehow where these three gauges simply didn't work properly in AM.

Now I know they are not synchronized in AM and I will stop trying to make them do something AM does not support.

Thanks everyone

Ralph

#19 Post by Ralph »

I still don't get it. These things are static in the sim, so they wouldn't change, unless you click them with your mouse of course.
But like I said, the premium panel can be set up so it is in sync with the sim. This was made mainly for hardware compatibility.

richardschreier

#20 Post by richardschreier »

Maybe I am too much of a perfectionist, indeed the setting of the EGT needle is mostly cosmetic and is static once positioned. The others are not static. Setting pressure-altitude on the TAS does make a difference to your true airspeed display, and the clock has various functions that may not be "needed" for flying but can be useful for certain flying routines like a coordinated 180 degree turn when encountering bad weather or a ceiling drop. I appreciate these dials are not critical to flying the aircraft but I would have thought if it's displayed properly in the cockpit in the SIM and can be changed during flight in the SIM, it should display properly in the rendering of the gauges in AM. My bad for having unrealistic expectations.

I purchased and downloaded the premium panel and saw no difference in behaviour or display, is there something else I can do to the premium panel to make it work?