Having a difficult time understanding Air Manager

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Ralph

Re: Having a difficult time understanding Air Manager

#11 Post by Ralph »

There's no need to pay full price. Please send us another email.

Kaellis991

#12 Post by Kaellis991 »

Sling wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:07 am
The video series I pointed you towards has episodes aimed directly at the hardware like you want. In AM4 there are pre made hardware functions for control of common sim functions that you can just drop into a panel and select your hardware pins. The videos will help you understand the Lua code that’s behind the hardware functions should you have the need to make your own one or perhaps modify an existing one.
I found E26 Hardware Part 1 and can follow along pretty well until 8 min. in where all of a sudden it goes to “….we have a usual code window up….” That is where I get lost. Not sure how to get my air manager to that point with the code window “up”. I am missing a few steps there in understanding how that “code window” becomes up.
Those instructional videos were using V3.4, which looks different than the V3.7 I have and the YouTube video I found earlier uses V4 which has the preconfigured hardware and is also different from V3.7. I will just install V4 and go back to that simpler YouTube video and see if that will get me sorted out.

Sling

#13 Post by Sling »

The code window is explained in the first couple of episodes which is why they really need to be watched in sequence. However shortly after that a code editor was incorporated into AM. If you go to the create edit tab, the main pane there is the code editor. I can’t remember now in what version the editor was integrated but it’s absolutely there in AM4.

Kaellis991

#14 Post by Kaellis991 »

Hopefully upgrading to AM4 will clear things up for me. The multiple changes made to the user interfaces of each version makes it difficult to use videos / instructions for one version with the next.

Sling

#15 Post by Sling »

Kaellis991 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:14 pm Hopefully upgrading to AM4 will clear things up for me. The multiple changes made to the user interfaces of each version makes it difficult to use videos / instructions for one version with the next.
It’s not changed that much really and if you take the time to learn it and ask questions here when you get stuck you will soon pick it up.

Kaellis991

#16 Post by Kaellis991 »

I really appreciate the advice, but over the last year or so I have been trying to learn SimVim, Mobiflight, and Air Manager and usually I run into the same issue when asking questions on forums. It’s a tedious process.

jph

#17 Post by jph »

Kaellis991 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:53 pm I really appreciate the advice, but over the last year or so I have been trying to learn SimVim, Mobiflight, and Air Manager and usually I run into the same issue when asking questions on forums. It’s a tedious process.

As you are struggling so much, perhaps it would be wise to stick to one product only. :roll:
I am also sure that the guys who have been really kind and helpful in answering your many questions appreciate the tedious process that you have to go through in reading their replies....
:shock:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#18 Post by Kaellis991 »

It’s not the reading that is tedious. It’s the search for explanations that click that is time consuming. Just like looking for a flight instructor or teacher who has a way of presenting the information that makes sense to a particular student. Not all teachers can express their ideas in ways that make sense to every student. I’ve had to change flight instructors over the years for just that.

Simvim was my preferred choice because of Xplane but it only uses 2560s and is not compatible with the RealSimGear 2560s. I have a lot invested in my RealSimGear GNS. It’s a quirk I only just found out about. Mobiflight was not an option last year because I had read that trying to get it to work with Xplane and custom aircraft was problematic requiring lots of code writing. So I’ve landed on AirManager this last week. Still thought I’d see what Mobiflight was about.

Kaellis991

#19 Post by Kaellis991 »

After installing V4, some progress has been made.However, there are still problems.
Russ Barlow’s beginners guide video has helped a lot but I am stuck with an issue that I hope to eventually solve.

Sling

#20 Post by Sling »

Like Joe suggested why not just concentrate on one. Many users come to AM and then realise they don’t need those others because AM does all that they can do and more.