AM 4 working with FS2020, update#6?

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Re: AM 4 working with FS2020, update#6?

#11 Post by Keith Baxter »

Peeps.

In requesting the community to try and assist, It is important to indicate what version of AM we talk of so that others have an understanding.

I would guess that the beta might resolve this. But just guessing as I assume the PP is referring to the official AM4.0 release.
I seem to recall Corjan fixing this somewhere.

If the issue is on the AM 4.1 beta build (10) then it would need looking into.

Keith

Edit: @Ralph @Corjan A known bug list within the WIKI might be of use for release versions and if they have a resolve in the beta.
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

#12 Post by Ralph »

Maybe a but tacker some day. But we'll have to find some time to set that up.

@Crunchmeister Yes sorry, I meant the issue you were mentioning. Is this something you can reproduce quite easily?

Crunchmeister

#13 Post by Crunchmeister »

Ralph wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:40 pm Is this something you can reproduce quite easily?
All the time every time on every version of AM and every version of the plugin since I started using the AM 4 Beta in January. Without failure.

Comments on my YouTube channels have several others reporting that issue to me (as if I'm some kind of authority on this) and my suggested fix works for them. There have been a lot of mentions of it in various AM-related threads on the MSFS forums as well. This isn't an isolated issue with MSFS.

I'm on the most current non-beta of both AM and the plugin currently.
Last edited by Crunchmeister on Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

Crunchmeister

#14 Post by Crunchmeister »

Steps to reproduce:

- On first load, AM + MSFS works fine.
- Shut down MSFS
- On subsequent loads of MSFS, AM no longer speaks[/list] to the sim, despite the "Connected to Simulator" status in the lower right box.
- Restarting AM does nothing

The fix is to either cycle the AM bridge service or the quick fix is to simply reinstall the plugin (that's faster).

It sounds very much to me like the issue the OP of this thread is experiencing as well.

EDIT: Just caught in the OP's post that he's reinstalled the plugin and no change. I guess I was mistake and this isn't the issue he's experiencing.

Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

Sling

#15 Post by Sling »

What’s being described here is an issue that I used to get with the early plugins. However since the fixes Corjan applied my connection to the sim has been stable. Every time I start the sim now Air manager connects and is working just fine. Can I ask if you shutdown the machine between restarts or perhaps leave it on or use sleep. Just trying so see if you are doing anything different to me. I do a full shutdown at the end of every day but I do sometimes stop and start the sim between MSFS and Xplane. This seems to work fine too.

Crunchmeister

#16 Post by Crunchmeister »

I rarely shut down my machine. If I reboot, the bridge service loads up properly and AM will connect to the sim just fine. The first time.

If I shut down the sim, either manually or happen to CTD, I have to either recycle the bridge service or run the installer again to get it working again. It's a consistent 100% reproducible thing for me. And I'm not alone. Many long time AM users on the MSFS forums have the same experience and just know to do this every time they restart the sim. It's not a show stopper. It's easy to get around. But it's annoying to have to do every time.

Sling

#17 Post by Sling »

If it's consistently reproducable then it should hopefully be fixable, so perhaps a plugin update will help alleviate this.

When i was having issues i created a couple of simple .bat files to stop and start the service from my desktop which has got to be quicker than running the plugin installer every time. If i can find them i can post if anyone is interested.

Ralph

#18 Post by Ralph »

As Tony said, this used to be an issue with the older plugin. But we haven't been able to reproduce this on our own systems with the latest plugin.
If you can reproduce it as easy as you claim, then please send us an email to make an appointment for a debugging session.

Keith Baxter

#19 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ralph wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:40 pm Maybe a but tacker some day. But we'll have to find some time to set that up.
Ralph. My thinking is a little different...

The time you guys and some of the community spend responding to the same/similar issues would long be repaid by a few moments setting some system up.

One has to look at the reward for effort and of a "first time customer" experience.

Just mentioning some thing that might enhance the AM experience.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#20 Post by jph »

Hi Keith,
There are two words that should be utterly banned from the context dictionary due to contorted use by IT companies (MS - Apple - etc etc) and also Corporates. These have crept into usage.. they are 'Experience' - as in the 'the Windows 'Experience'' and 'Reach out' as in 'We are Reaching Out' to our customers.. Should be banned and the users shot at dawn... :lol:
They are cringeworthy. ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.