Mouse cursor jumping

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

bcw2235

Mouse cursor jumping

#1 Post by bcw2235 »

I installed the lasted demo version of Air Manager last night to test it before purchasing. I installed both the Air Manager and the X-Plane plugin. Once I ran Air Manager, my cursor began behaving erratically. I could move the mouse cursor in a straight line and it will randomly jump somewhere else on the screen. Every few seconds it will randomly jump somewhere else on thee screen but immediately stops when I quit Air Manager and begins again as soon as I start it again. I have the latest version of windows 10 with all updates installed and latest version of .Net framework installed (4.8). I would love to use Air Manager, but it's impossible if my mouse is made usuable. Any ideas?

Tetrachromat

Re: Mouse cursor jumping

#2 Post by Tetrachromat »

Hi, are you using a KVM switch? I had the same issue when using such a switch. After connecting keyboard and mouse directly to the PC, the issue disappeared,

bcw2235

#3 Post by bcw2235 »

Tetrachromat wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:02 pm Hi, are you using a KVM switch? I had the same issue when using such a switch. After connecting keyboard and mouse directly to the PC, the issue disappeared,
I am using one...will have to disconnect and try it out. I will let you know. Thank you!

bcw2235

#4 Post by bcw2235 »

Nope....I tried removing the KVM and the mouse is still having the issue. I submitted a support ticket and hopefully they will have an answer.

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

It seems to be something hardware specific. You're the only one who has it, or keeps having this. We can give a refund.

jph

#6 Post by jph »

bcw2235 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:55 am Nope....I tried removing the KVM and the mouse is still having the issue. I submitted a support ticket and hopefully they will have an answer.
Have you completely uninstalled the KVM software / drivers and then rebooted your system ?. I would also be interested in which KVM you are using ? . - Stardock seems very very good - but......

Oh - added - just realised that it may appear you are using a hardware KVM and not a software solution ? - or is it a combo ?
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#7 Post by jph »

I have also seen this issue many times before - but admittedly not on the later OS versions.
If your KVM is using serial based mouse drivers (many do!) then it is really easy for the com port communication from a different serial coms device to be interpreted by the system as an actual serial mouse.
I would say it is almost certainly your setup.

The mouse 'jumping around' seemingly randomly is almost certainly a conflict between the mouse driver and another driver on your system.
A link to your KVM details, your OS details, and a few images of 'device driver' for HID (Human interface devices) and PORTS - com and lpt - with the sub-sections opened would be most useful. I am sure it would be fairly easy to troubleshoot with detailed information.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Tetrachromat

#8 Post by Tetrachromat »

ATEN CS1794 4-port HDMI KVM switch here. There are no drivers or intermediate software to install for the switch. Also on Windows 10 and regularly updated to latest builds and drivers.

I had the switch in use for several years without problems. The issues appeared only after I installed Air Manager. And it only surfaced when AirManager was running.

The main issue was the mouse input lagging, resulting in a "jumping cursor". But the jumping was always in the direction of the mouse movements. Not jumping around wildly. A secondary issues was that keyboard input was lagging but also repeating sporadically the last entry multiple times.

Whenever AirManager was shut down the issues disappeared. Also no other application on that PC shows that behaviour. So one could assume that AirManager handles keyboard and mouse input differently from other applications. Maybe an issue with Java which is used for the AirManager GUI (Note: the issue remains with the BETA builds, although they moved up to JAVA 16).

I did update the switch with a more current firmware available from ATEN website, but it did not solve the issue. I have now removed the switch completely. using separate keyboard and mouse for PC and laptop. A bit awkward to shuffle around keyboard and mouse, but al least it works. I will try out a different make I can probably borrow from a friend. It's a LINDY dual port HDMI switch.

If anybody is using a KVM switch without this issue in AirManager, please let me know the make and model.

Paul

bcw2235

#9 Post by bcw2235 »

jph wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:03 am
bcw2235 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:55 am Nope....I tried removing the KVM and the mouse is still having the issue. I submitted a support ticket and hopefully they will have an answer.
Have you completely uninstalled the KVM software / drivers and then rebooted your system ?. I would also be interested in which KVM you are using ? . - Stardock seems very very good - but......

Oh - added - just realised that it may appear you are using a hardware KVM and not a software solution ? - or is it a combo ?
Yeah, it's a hardware KVM. I can't recall the make/model, but will check tonight.

bcw2235

#10 Post by bcw2235 »

jph wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:13 am I have also seen this issue many times before - but admittedly not on the later OS versions.
If your KVM is using serial based mouse drivers (many do!) then it is really easy for the com port communication from a different serial coms device to be interpreted by the system as an actual serial mouse.
I would say it is almost certainly your setup.

The mouse 'jumping around' seemingly randomly is almost certainly a conflict between the mouse driver and another driver on your system.
A link to your KVM details, your OS details, and a few images of 'device driver' for HID (Human interface devices) and PORTS - com and lpt - with the sub-sections opened would be most useful. I am sure it would be fairly easy to troubleshoot with detailed information.
Thanks! I have updated the mouse drivers to the latest from Microsoft, but still have the issues even without the KVM. Since all the drivers and software are updated, it seems like it's a hardware issue. We've eliminated the KVM as the issue by removing it, so now I'm thinking it may be my mouse. It's a few years old, so I'm going to buy a new mouse and keyboard and see if that solves the issue.