DME generic selector knob control

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Ralph

Re: DME generic selector knob control

#41 Post by Ralph »

We're available on Thursday and Friday next week, so let us know what suits you. Please send this through a support ticket.

ramberga

#42 Post by ramberga »

Tony - I have an update for you - and a workaround I am going to use for now.

First, notice that the Arduino board access is denied if I attempt to re-flash it (moved it to COM11, but it happens on any COM port):
AM flash issue.jpg

1. if I add any instrument that allows an external hardware device (3 way switch in the case of the DME display instrument) AND if the hw_switch_add function call uses the hardware_id argument (but not the named argument) AND if the Arduino Leonardo board is connected via the USB port BEFORE the instrument is added, the instrument will allow the hardware device to operate it in the 'home' tab

2. if I connect the Arduino board AFTER I add the instrument, then the instrument will NOT work in the 'home' tab

3. also, if I do #1 procedure, then disconnect and reconnect the Arduino board while AM and the computer are both running, then the instrument will NOT work in the 'home' tab

4. if I do #1 procedure, then put the computer to sleep (and leave AM open), keep the Arduino USB connected, then wake up the computer (making sure the Arduino board was never disconnected), the instrument works in the 'home' tab

5. if I close AM, then restart AM, the instrument will not work in the 'home' tab and needs to be re-added to the panel

My workaround is to always keep the Arduino Leonardo board connected via the USB, and keep AM running, but put the computer to sleep (making sure the Arduino board remains connected). Basically, I am doing #4 procedure above.

The problem, of course, is I am not getting to the problem. Why doesn't the 'named argument' option work, and I have to hard-code the pin assignments? Why are the pin assignments disappearing or being lost in some of the instances above?

Do you know if the Arduino Leonardo board works with AM? I see that others use the UNO or MEGA.

Pete

P.S. what do you guys recommend concerning leaving a PC running 24 hrs a day versus putting it to sleep when not in use????
Last edited by ramberga on Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ralph

#43 Post by Ralph »

What I recommend is what I've said here about 10 times now :) Send a support ticket and make an appointment for a TeamViewer session.

Ralph

#44 Post by Ralph »

Also please include:
- What hardware are you using (switch or rotary encoder)
- The instrument you are using exported as a siff file

Ralph

#45 Post by Ralph »

The issue was probably an old beta version. It seemed to work with the release version of 4.0 and beta version of 4.1.
It was nice to talk to you Pete :)